12v at key & aftermarket gauges???

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
undysworld
Norway

12v at key & aftermarket gauges???

Post by undysworld »

Okay, so i've got this truck I'm working on. Most items have been completed.

But the gas gauge isn't working. One wire which comes from it isn't connected to anything, just hangs there. (I've had the sender out for other work, and it all looked secure electrically.) So I check for 24v at the sender, nothing. Then I check that wire for 24v at the gauge, 12v. ?? Huh? Yeah, 12v on one terminal, but 4v on two others. So I check the feed from the ignition key, 12v. The main supply to the key is 24v though. Now I'm confused.

It's some aftermarket gauge set, which I've never seen previously. EDIT: I think they are perhaps from CWR. They are black, case and face, with white lettering and say "PINZGAUER" on the faces. They have red backlights. Now, the Speedo and oil pressure gauges seem to work fine, and they all have 12v to them apparently. So I assume this gas gauge will work as well, but I don't know how to hook it up properly.

Have any of you had experience with these gauges and perhaps be able to help me with the wiring of them?

Thanks,
Paul
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Look for a resistor wired from power circuit to ground before the guages to pull the voltage down.

Poor mans solution to the right part :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Thanks Jim, I'll look again.

Any idea how these gauges interact with the original sender? Do they also supply voltage to the sending unit?

Paul