12 Volt system advise.

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
chacaocop1

12 Volt system advise.

Post by chacaocop1 »

I read:

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... m&start=15

and I have many questions.

Are those converters sharing the same ground of the truck?

What should I use, a system that charges an additional 12V battery or a converter?

goudacheese: What did you do with the BN4? Do you still have it? Want to sell it?

Thanks.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
Erik712m

Re: 12 Volt system advise.

Post by Erik712m »

chacaocop1 wrote:I read:

Are those converters sharing the same ground of the truck?

Thanks.
No!! Not on the twelve volt side. But yes on the twenty-four volt side read the directions of the converter. Most note warranty is void if the ground is not properly routed through the converter. How they would now I have no clue?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The converters that I have used (Samlex [yuk], Astrodyne [really a MeanWell unit]) have all had isolated 12V outputs; this means that the output acts like a battery - you can choose to connect the negative side to chassis ground or not. In my case I have done so with both converters I use - a 28A unit that runs the fuel injection system (must be grounded to the engine) and similarly with a 12A unit for 12V accessories. Both are Astrodyne units, and I've not had a problem with either of them, and had both for a sum of 8 years and many miles.

Since they are powered by the truck's 24V system, disconnecting the battery key disconnects their input power so the 12V output shuts down as well; I have had no issue with using the truck chassis for both grounds.

DO NOT EVER use the 12V midpoint of the truck batteries to power 12V devices -- things will fry under certain, easily occuring condtions!

Jim M.
712W and 710M
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

DO NOT EVER use the 12V midpoint of the truck batteries to power 12V devices -- things will fry under certain, easily occuring condtions!
I did this 4 years ago... I will reserve the results for myself. :oops:

Thanks a lot guys so far for the input. I am taking notes.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M