brake light wiring

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
ccalingaert

brake light wiring

Post by ccalingaert »

There are a couple of write ups on how to wire a brake light when installing new tail lights, but I ended up doing it a different way. Expedition Imports has a service bulletin that describes using the pink blackout wire, but I had already used that for a back-up light. Jim LaGuardia posted a description (http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... php?t=3900) that connected a yellow wire from one of the warning lights to the orange wire from the hazard switch, but my Pinz didn't have the yellow wire, perhaps because it's a K instead of an M.

As Jim mentioned in another post about brake wiring (http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... php?t=2607), the orange wire that the schematic shows going from the brake switch to the hazard switch to the tail lights is only connected to one side of the 12 wire connector on the right side of the dash. I found the missing orange wire with a female terminal already attached by cutting the wiring harness insulation back a couple of inches. After splicing in a short piece of wire to make it as long as the others and plugging it into the connector, the brake lights worked. Unplug the orange wire from the hazard switch, and the brake and turn signals are separate, or leave it connected if your turn signals are red and you like it even brighter when you step on the brakes.
Chris
'74 710K
Sandy
Canada

Re: brake light wiring

Post by Sandy »

THAT is a fantastic wiring solution for the break lights. Re-wired mine today.
HOWEVER...I am having an issue with the TD light install. The lights I got from EI seem to be too long by about 1/4" to 3/8".
Has anyone else had any issues bolting these up to a K?
Is it necessary to grind some metal off the bumper support? That was not mentioned in the EICSB114 directions.
Would appreciate some direction.
Cheers,
Sandy
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)
Sandy
Canada

Re: brake light wiring

Post by Sandy »

Stop the press! Scott got me sorted out on the installation. Something about spacers... :shock:
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)