Backup light

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Byron

Backup light

Post by Byron »

I found that it was hard to see backing up at night. My solution was to add a 24v pull knob on the dash to switch a small flood I had mounted under the rear of the pinz. The flood was just a cheap flood light that used H3 bulbs. Works like a champ. The only issue now is I usually get half way down the road before I realize itis still on. I have it wired in so that it only works when the key is on the on position. Does anyone have better ideas on this?
Byron Smith
1975 Pinzgauer 710k
Previous truck was a 1970 Unimog 404
krick3tt

back up light

Post by krick3tt »

Other than memory the only better idea is a illuminated switch, not too expensive and better than blinding those behind you.
I mounted a toggle switch above 4 wheel lever below the wiper motor, if its to the left the light is on. That is also where I mounted the two switches for the front flood lights for desert night driving. Each switch is for one light.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Byron

Post by Byron »

I mounted the control knob and power switch to my remote Go Light I have mounted on the roof there. Dang I need a bigger dash for switches. lol
Byron Smith
1975 Pinzgauer 710k
Previous truck was a 1970 Unimog 404
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Many of us have installed switches on the transmission which engage when reverse is selected. From memory, there is a plug above the drive-shaft output which is removed and replaced with a momentary-on switch, such as this one from S.A.V.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 161850320/

Wire it inline with your backup lamp and you're all set. No other knobs on your dashboard, and no forgetting that it's on.
Kaweeka

more options

Post by Kaweeka »

also available from the forum sponsor with instructions . . .

http://www.expedition-imports.com/produ ... gauer.html

http://www.expedition-imports.com/categ ... h_install/

Then again if someone were tailgating you it would be fun to have a "back up" light you could just turn on :twisted:
Stuck in the bureaucratic spin cycle!
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Thanks Kaweeka.
I didn't mean to ignore Scott out at E.I. You can certainly get one from S.A.V., but E.I. is a sponsor here, and that's a good thing.
Paul
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

This is a nice easy and painless installation, and never realized before buy SAV is NOT a sponsor of this site...hence...my business goes to Scott! :D
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M