Headlights - will Land Rover ones fit?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
spandit

Headlights - will Land Rover ones fit?

Post by spandit »

When the water got into my headlights (look at my video on YouTube!) it has somehow removed the silver coating. I'm assuming this is an MOT failure point and although I haven't actually driven in the dark yet, I'd like to replace them in due course.

A cursory inspection shows them to be a very similar size to the ones fitted on my Defender - does anyone know if they are the same? The Pinzgauer ones have "24V" printed on the back - can't see why there'd be a difference between them as long as the right bulb goes in?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Headlights

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Hi Spandit. Land Rover type headlamps do fit, but you need to get ones with pilot holes for the sidelights and fit with 24v bulbs.
spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks, Nigel, I suppose I could buy some cheap 12V ones and modify them - not sure if my slight lack of silvering is an MOT failure point
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

headlights

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

I'm afraid there is no hard and fast rule for the silvering on the headlamps, it's at the discretion of the tester. Replacement halogen units are not expensive, just find a good local motor factor, they should be able to sort you out, if you have problems give me a shout. Cheers Nigel.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Guys
The headlamps are 7" rounds--Almost universal back in the 60's & 70's--Try a motorcycle application----just about every Brit bike had them even a BMW R90/6 which is what I spec'd recently for a halogen upgrade.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now