ACR Alternator

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
lindenengineering

ACR Alternator

Post by lindenengineering »

Guys
I have just stumbled across an identical NEW Bosch ACR 40A 24v unit. Exactly the same dimensionally as the original, except for the fixing nut thread diameter.
I am getting some original fan pulley cap nuts bored out and threaded to accept the new unit and put it on trial.
Stay tuned
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Nice find Dennis, I am guessing if these alternators pass muster,we will have a lower cost alternator source???
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Well these units fit exactly where the old one used to dwell.

Difference--the thread and shank diameter of 2mm larger so the pulley sheave fixing nut has to be opened up. I have two undergoing "surgery" by a machine shop in town. One genuine Steyr spec nut and one from a Super Beetle made in Brazil!

The "in chassis mod" will be to dump the reg box and wire the machine with a feed directly from the red indicator light to exite the unit through the cut off relay.
Stay tuned I am hoping to have this up 'n running by next week!

The parts for the old unit are getting tight so this find is important.
The one I have is made in Turkey by Bosch --hope it turns out NOT to be a "turkey" :twisted:
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

Bloody rotten timing....since my pinz was down at your place just a few months back needing a new alternator.

I'm interested in watching this - I've been pondering what it would take to put a higher output alternator on the beast, since I think the stocker is 35A? Can almost never have too much juice available....

thanks for the investigation, will be watching for results!
712 amb. under construction.