testing a SOLAR 24v to 12v equalizer

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
audiocontr
United States of America

testing a SOLAR 24v to 12v equalizer

Post by audiocontr »

I'm suspicious of my SOLAR unit. My battery is dieing too often now from my 12v tap where the solar unit should be equalizing the load. Any idea how to test one of these?
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

Mine tested out with a gravitational acceleration of 9.8m/s2 when I pitched it in the trash can.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I didn't have any luck with mine as well
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Did you return the negative side of the charge controller tor the batteries, or to a body ground?
The charger needs to be isolated from the body, and the controller wired directly to the batteries, or it won't charge when the battery switch is off, and can be burned out if it isn't isolated from the body ground,
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

All connections to the batteries. It is possible that the unit's case could have touched ground inside the battery box i guess. Wont that short it?
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

To answer my own questions...

The case is isolated. Contact of ground will not hurt the unit.

to test, disconnect white wire. Check voltage at white wire. It should be half of current 24v power. White wire had no voltage at all.

There are 2 fuses inside the unit, 25a and 15. Each was blown. Replacements popped immediately. Sending the unit back to Solar for repair.

I'm wondering if the unit should be disconnected prior to any jump starting? I'm not sure what caused it in the first place.