Identify this Eberspächer I've just won

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
spandit

Identify this Eberspächer I've just won

Post by spandit »

Put a speculative bid in on eBay for a 24V Eberspächer diesel heater:

I think it's a D8LC air heater, so possibly a bit overkill for British winters, but we can always open a window! Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Before anyone says it's a diesel heater when I've got a petrol Pinzgauer, I know, but you can run these on kerosene which is cheaper and I'd be installing an auxiliary tank anyway as don't like T-ing into existing fuel lines.

By the way, it only cost me £20!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
spandit

Post by spandit »

Wow, thanks for all the response... it arrived today and is an Eberspächer X2/1. It's painted orange, not just rusty but haven't fired it up yet.
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
spandit

Post by spandit »

Just fired her up - works really well, much quieter than my old D5W. Just need to source some ducting now to get the heat into the cabin!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Wow, thanks for all the response...
Sorry, man. Didn't mean to have you feeling abandoned. Personally, I had no info to offer regarding ID'ing that heater.

All I can tell you is that if she fires, it seems like you got a great deal. Cheers.

Paul
spandit

Post by spandit »

It's no problem, just wanted to know if I'd accidentally bought the correct heater - it certainly looks very similar although I'm guessing the BN4 is 4000W, not 2000W like this one - should certainly keep the inside warm, though - roll on winter!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
spandit

I am officially an idiot

Post by spandit »

Despite getting my heater working OK, the wiring wasn't quite the same as the manual so thought I'd "fix it".

Still not getting any voltage to the glow plug so thought I'd give it a bit...

...it glowed OK, for a brief moment, then it stopped glowing. That is why they fit a large series resistor for the 24V heater.

As far as I can tell, you can't buy this particular glow plug any more - it's a Beru GS163 and the only place Google lists is some reference site in Italy

Aaaarrggh!!! :cry: :mad:
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Cheap they are not, but invest in a Webasto Airtop 2000. Small tank of red diesel stashed away. Straightforward to fit. Set the thermostat from comfy to full roast. Best investment Pinzwise I ever made ! I don't like being cold either.
spandit

Post by spandit »

No, they're not cheap. Might have tracked down a replacement plug but it's still more than the price I paid for the whole heater...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

If you can locate the right plug and the rest works fine, then yes, you've got a real bargain. Good luck !