Windshield wiper controll

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
totaljoint

Windshield wiper controll

Post by totaljoint »

Too much rain in Seattle this year. The Pinz wipers are either on full speed or off. I find I pull the switch for one cycle, then turn it off for a minute, then on again. I don't take it out when it rains hard enough for the full speed to be left on.

I also know there is an intermittant contraption adapter which is expensive and ugly.

So, my quesiton is, what would be the best option:
1. Leave it as it is. Use Rain-x and not complain to my fortunate desert dwelling, sun-loving peers,
2. Install a door bell type switch that is a simple push when ever the windshield gets obscured, or
3. Can I put a rheostat type swith (a "rotary and variable output swich" type in McMaster- Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#=7mt7w7) to vary the speed- or will that ruin the motor? I remember something about not putting a dimmer on an induction motor...?
Thanks to the electrically inclined!
Ed
Thomas-E

Wiper Motor

Post by Thomas-E »

I've been thinking about a two speed motor setup. I have a hole in the instrument panel just left of the wiper switch, BN4 heater fan?

The motor is a brush type D.C. motor that should operate at lower voltages, I'm not sure how low you could go but I would be happy to just have a high and a lower speed. You could do that with a fast and slow switch installed in the above mentioned hole. It would need to be a single (or double) pole switch wired so that in the "Fast" mode it would pass the current straight through to the motor and in "Slow" it would run the current through a rheostat (for a variable speed) or through a fixed resistor to give a single slower speed.

I do like your idea for a momentary push button, had not considered that one :shock:

The only problems that I can think of is the current needed to stow the wiper blades when turning the wiper off.

I thought that when I finish my current project (camper) that I would play around with some fixed resistors for a simply two speed setup.

Best wishes
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I pulled the pin for my wiper blade stow return. For some reason it would not stop when it was connected, ran constantly. Now its a matter of timing the off and it works fine.
krick3tt

variable speed wiper control

Post by krick3tt »

I bought one of the variable speed gizmos from SAV when I first moved to WA but never installed it. Still in the box in my shop. ...someday, maybe?

I don't know about ugly..... the only thing that would show is the knob to activate the thing. the actual control goes behind the panel. Not any more shows than the key or fan switch knobs.

edit: It is part no. SAV1030 Bosch part no 0336920003
Last edited by krick3tt on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I didn't know SAV had the intermittant, I've only seen the Cold War version (that looks very different). Anyone have experiance with the SAV intermittant control?
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

The Austrian Army Pinzgauers that were factory refurbished have
some sort of interval control. You can buy it directly from S-tec.

My 710m has it and it works great.
You can see it in this Picture just right beside the dash.

Richard
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Is there a link to S-tec? I found only autopilot controlls and exhause evacuation systems under that search.
Thanks!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The motor is a brush type D.C. motor that should operate at lower voltages, I'm not sure how low you could go but I would be happy to just have a high and a lower speed. You could do that with a fast and slow switch installed in the above mentioned hole. It would need to be a single (or double) pole switch wired so that in the "Fast" mode it would pass the current straight through to the motor and in "Slow" it would run the current through a rheostat (for a variable speed) or through a fixed resistor to give a single slower speed.

I do like your idea for a momentary push button, had not considered that one

The only problems that I can think of is the current needed to stow the wiper blades when turning the wiper off.
Thomas is correct. Most wiper systems have a dedicated power terminal that keeps the motor powered until it stows; so a resistor in the "normal" power input should slow the motor, but it may be over ridden by the stow power. I haven't checked out the Pinz wiper motor closely enough to know for certain.

When the power is cut off and the motor is not in the stow position, power continues to flow though a switch arrangement within the motor housing to allow it to get to the stow postion. At this time the stow power is removed -- but the motor still has enough inertia to coast past "stow" and then power is re-applied and the wipers continue on and on. At the stow postion there is another set of contacts that "short out" the motor to make it stop rapidly. If these contacts are worn and don't short out the motor enough then the wipers just continue to go and will not stop.

I broke the wipers on my old car years ago when I lived in Everett, I drove solely on Rain-X for over a month. Wonderful stuff!

Anyway, best of luck.

Jim M.
712W and 710M
berger
Canada

Re:

Post by berger »

audiocontr wrote:I pulled the pin for my wiper blade stow return. For some reason it would not stop when it was connected, ran constantly. Now its a matter of timing the off and it works fine.
Mine just started doing this too. I am going to pull the cap off the motor and check all the connections.
Last edited by berger on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
David Dunn
United States of America

Re:

Post by David Dunn »

totaljoint wrote:I didn't know SAV had the intermittant, I've only seen the Cold War version (that looks very different). Anyone have experiance with the SAV intermittant control?
Don't know how I had missed this thread..? :?
I had added the intermttant switch to my 712 (many, many moons ago :wink: ). It actually works in parallel with the factory switch.... Want a set speed, use the factory switch, intermittant, the knob... simple

the "parking" feature is in the wiper motor
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Windshield wiper controll

Post by Jimm391730 »

Mine just started doing this too. I am going to pull the cap off the motor and check all the connections.
Take the motor out and open up the gearbox. The grease is probably rock hard and the back of the big gear has a "ramp" built into it; this ramp pushes a pin through the gearcase wall and triggers the leafs of the park switches. In mine, the pin was frozen from the hard grease. Once I got most of the old gunk out and put in new grease (and cleaned and oiled the pin) then the park feature worked beautifully.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Take the motor out and open up the gearbox. The grease is probably rock hard and the back of the big gear has a "ramp" built into it; this ramp pushes a pin through the gearcase wall and triggers the leafs of the park switches. In mine, the pin was frozen from the hard grease. Once I got most of the old gunk out and put in new grease (and cleaned and oiled the pin) then the park feature worked beautifully.
I've recently started having the same problem and Jim L. recommended cleaning the gear and pin also. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Here are some tips on install as I found the supplied instructions omitted what I consider important installation information.

First there should be a system operation description like "this delay switch is connected in parallel(by sub harness) with dash switch and only 1 circuit/wire(black) is cut and re-routed through the delay switch"

You will need the following supplies in quantity to complete installation:Mounting location or bracket, wire 16-18 guage in green, red, brown, and black, solder, 5 female spade connectors(insulated) , shrink wrap to insulate solder connections(black wire) and sub harness.

Start by pulling dash up and adding new wires to existing switch(small flat blade screwdriver needed) and modify park wire(black), slide shrink wrap over sub harness, put female spade ends on wires, route to switch mounting location and connect to new switch.
Operation: dash switch is full speed and must be in off position for delay switch to operate.
Last edited by Jim LaGuardia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I bought the switch from SAV back in 2006 and never hooked it up. Sent out a request for assistance and was answered by Phil on March 17, 06. Maybe it can be reached through the old forum.
It is under intermittent wipers posted on 3/17/2006 @ 8:55 am. He said he would post the wiring diagram but I never printed that out.

...but, here is his answer.

On the Bosch switch connect terminal 85 to the brown wire on your orig. wiper switch. Connect term 88 to the green wire on the orig. switch. Connect 88A to the red wire on the orig. switch.
Cut the black wire on the orig. switch. Connect term 87 to the black wire on the orig. switch side, and term 87A to the other side of the cut black wire which goes to the wiper motor.

To operate: turn on the orig. wiper switch, next turn on the intermittent wiper switch. next turn off the orig. wiper switch. Select your delay. Rotate the new switch counterclockwise to turn off the wipers.
(for those of you with digital watches, that is a turn to the left)

Hope this helps.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

second post edit out