Brake switch melted connectors

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Picasso

Brake switch melted connectors

Post by Picasso »

My brake switch has melted connectors on it. Should I be seeing 24volt on this guy yes? It seems both plugs on it show + 24volts.

I checked my other pinzgauer and it also shows signs of melted connectors at the brake switch. And seems to behave like my other showing 24 volts +

To install my Turbo diesel tail lights I undid the orange prong with two wires in it. I undid the black out light (pink) from the light switch and jumpered it to the two orange I removed from the hazard flasher. the only thing I can think of the melting could be from is to much current? but 4X21watts for brake dosnt seem that bad.

My brake lights work as does turn and tails light but that damn connector is getting HOT. Its odd that the switch shows 24+ till I connect it to my jumper to the pink black out wire that runs to my tail lights when I connect it being that it shows + I would think the tails lights would come on.

http://shup.com/Shup/376081/11063135517.png
2X 712AMB Oakland, CA
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

so it looks like a case of to much lighting. I had tied in the "Fog" light to use as an extra brake light. removed the extra lights and things are good. I guess 4 21watt lights are to much for the poor pink wire.
2X 712AMB Oakland, CA
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Just a thought: If you wish to keep extra lights activated by the brake switch, you could hook up a relay to switch the extra load/s.
Picasso

hmm

Post by Picasso »

I should have just grabbed some LED's and be done with it. Maybe I will LED the other one and ditch the jeep tail lights. The low draw and long life seem a much better option.
2X 712AMB Oakland, CA