Fuel gauge repair attempted & aborted. Advice.

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
undysworld
Norway

Fuel gauge repair attempted & aborted. Advice.

Post by undysworld »

Well, with our midwest treffen now 5 days away, my fuel gauge bit the big one. :roll:

So, no offense to our kind sponsors, I decided I'd try my hand at repairing the thing. Got it disassembled, using the same method for removing the face and ring as for speedometers. Pulling the screw-connector terminal on the back was a stumper, but finally just pried and the assembly unplugged from the guts. Got the innards out, and found a loose red wire to a terminal. Well, it looked like a poor connection, with only one strand still attached to the terminal.  Turns out, it was the only strand and it was coming from a tiny coil. I extended the wire from the coil and had everything reading continuous, and began reassembling the gauge.

That's when the other wire from the coil broke.

This time, it was a much less accessible spot. So, 2+ hrs. into it, I decided the wiser course of action was to give up. (To my pleasure, I discovered that SAV had replacement gauges on sale. Yahoo, I win one.) That's when we hit on the :idea: of implanting a small photo of a scantily-clad young lady into the now-useless gauge body, and installing it in place of the plastic blank I currently have in the dash. It's very appealing. But now, I'm finding it more difficult to keep my eyes on the road... :wink:

At any rate, the fuel gauge seems very difficult to effect any repairs within. But if you've got one that's "open" electronically, it might be advisable to at least pry off the plastic screw-terminal assembly and check for poor contacts. Beyond that, save your time and order a new gauge.
spandit

Post by spandit »

I opened my fuel gauge and affected a repair but you're right - give it one go then order a new one. My gauge seems to read something fairly random and is affected whether the hand brake is on or not - earth problem somewhere, I warrant
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)