Wiring in fridge to 12V leisure battery - what I've done

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

One battery first battery
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Gads, I hate answers that don't say $hit!

Robin,
Do not take offense if any of this seems below you, but is for the benefit of the "less informed". Everyone needs to learn somewhere.

To define the 2 batteries. First you have the "upper" battery that has the Pinz positive (+) cable to it. The "lower" battery has it's positive connected to the negative (-) side of the upper battery and it's negative side connected to the Pinz negative cable (-).

TURN OFF the battery disconnect on the Pinz and connect the jumper cables to the upper battery ( + to + , and - to -) of the charging vehicle or charger).The interconnect cable between batteries on the Pinz does not need to be disconnected. The reason you turn off the disconnect is that if you touch either jumper cable to the body of the Pinz, you could either have the polarity reverse to the charging unit and blow up a battery, or two, or run 24v back the charging vehicle and blow out all it's electronics...... depending on which cable came in contact.

If you are jumping from another vehicle, let the vehicle run at a high idle ( 1500rpm or so) for 5 minute +/-. Then disconnect the jumper cables from the upper battery and move them to the "lower" battery and repeat. While you are connected to the lower battery, you can turn on the disconnect switch and start the vehicle. The idea is you pump some power into the upper battery, and then the Pinz will start while charging the lower battery.

MORE SAFETY PROCEDURES:

Not just for 24v vehicles , but for all types.
First connect one end of the jumper cable to the vehicle to be charged positive (+) battery post first. Then connect the other end to the charging vehicle's positive battery post.
Then connect the other jumper cable to the appropriate negative battery post, and last connection to the charging vehicle's battery negative post ( or a good ground on the body or engine). This is assuming a negative ground vehicle ( LRs were last positive ground around '59 to '60 ,and were among the last to change ;) ).

Now to explain why we do it this way.:
With the first cable going from one vehicle to the other, no circuit is completed and no chance of shorting anything by the clamp accidentally contacting the body of the opposite vehicle. Whereas if the grounds (-) were done first, any contact of the positive (+) with any part of either vehicle could damage something, or blow a battery up (literally!)

As most people know, I don't like to read OR write long posts ( three finger rule :wink: ) and have made every attempt to make this understandable and correct, but could have missed something in the proof writing ( I wished others would try that sometime :P ).
But if there is an error in it, let me know and I'll change or explain it clearer.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
spandit

Post by spandit »

Great post - I'll get that printed and laminated to keep in the vehicle, I think!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)