Turn signal indicator keeps flashing.

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Charlie 6

Turn signal indicator keeps flashing.

Post by Charlie 6 »

I purchase a Pinz 710M in Dec. The turn signal indicator light on the dash would flash occassionally on its own without causing any turn signal blinkers to flash. If I engaged the the turn signal arm the blinkers worked fine. Today I took the turn signal lever apart on the steering column and it looked fine inside from what I can tell (the mounting screws were stripped so someone had it apart before). I also took the dash out and looked behind it and everything looked normal from what I can tell. Well I put everything back and now the turn signal indicator light on the dash flashs all the time without moving the turn signal lever. The outside blinkers don't blink when this happens, if i turn on the lever the out side turn signal blinkers work fine. Also when I apply the brakes the turn signal indicator light on the dash stop blinking on its own until i release the brake then they start blinking again. Also when the indicator light on the dash is blinking on its own the flasher assembly by the hazard switch (looks new) and makes its normal clicking noise. Anybody have any suggestions, thanks.
710M, M151A1, M100
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Thats crazy..I have the exact same problem..been living with it because it is just too damn cold outside to diagnose electrical gremlins but since you have the same issue my truck has I bet others have had it too....anybody see this before?? and know the culprit?
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've had this problem before and it seemed to be a short in the original hazard switch. After replacing it with the current version of the switch the problem went away but now when I turn on the hazard lights it no longer flashes on the indicator strip like it did before. Only the lighted knob flashes.

The whole turn signal/hazard switch wiring has been the most confusing part of the wiring harness for me. Even after careful study of the schematic it's still somewhat of a mystery. :?

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Charlie 6

Post by Charlie 6 »

Thanks for the replies, I feel a little better knowing i did not mess something up when looking around. So besides being a pain when driving it this way it should not cause harm driving it that way until i put on a another flasher?
The flasher on it is a 24v with 4 connectors (one has a green wire that splits off with another connector that is not hooked up to anything)
This current version flasher where can I pick one up at? SAV?
Thanks again.
710M, M151A1, M100
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Yes, SAV has them:
http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV1430

NAPA also carries a 24V flasher, their part number EG23, but I seem to recall that it's close to twice the price.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Charlie 6

Post by Charlie 6 »

Thanks for the part number and sources.
710M, M151A1, M100
Charlie 6

Post by Charlie 6 »

I just received a new flasher unit from SAV and it did not correct the problem. I plan to check the ground and trace all wires to its source. Last resort replace the turn signal arm housing. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
710M, M151A1, M100
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

There is no problem, some electronic flashers give phantom flashing of the dash turn indicator when other switches are activated.
This has been posted several times.
If you put a factory type manual flasher back in, the phantom flash will go away.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Pinzgauer Pete

Re: Turn signal indicator keeps flashing.

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Ok I had some decent weather here finally and got some work done on the pinz...I ordered a new 4way flasher switch from E.I. and finally solved the mysterious electrical gremlin that caused the turn signal dash indicator to flash periodically even though the outside signals were not activated. It was something I put up with and annoying because I always thought I had left the turn signals on after making a turn..so I was constantly checking. On my pinz the 4way switch would work on only the front signals but not the back ones with the defective switch this seems to be a common showing when defective, anyhow its all good now.

710M
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Hey guys, I have the same problem with my 1975 Pinz 710 M. I went to NAPA and bought their switch. Unfortunately it's only a three terminal and not a four, like the SAV. So I returned it. My SAV was ordered and delivered from Swiss Army Vehicles. I'll try an get it put on this week and let you know if it works. I hope so. The flashing is one thing. But, the noise is another. :)

John L
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Ok, nice rainy afternoon so I replaced the falsher relay. Absolutely no luck. New relay but same problem.The relay came from SAV's. Don't know if that makes a difference. I read that someone changed theirs from Expedition Imports and it solved the problem. Does anyone have any input or is this merely a problem we live with???

Thanks,

John
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

John the flasher switch was my issue not the relay...and solved the issue you describe in your post. I bought mine from E.I. and it was 75.00 if I remember right...but as soon as I changed it the phantom dash indicator flashes went away....

710M
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Got it. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the reply.

John
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Thought I'd provide you guys with a bit more information. The Turn Signal Switch (not relay) at SAV is now $177.00 instead of $75. So, I can't afford to spend that on fixing something that is merely an aggravation. So, I did what some others have done an took the old switch apart. Instead of using electrical cleaner and some silicone spray, I used good old fashioned WD 40. I coated the moving parts of the switch wth it trying t keep it off of the circuit board. It was filthy, as you would expect. A ton of grime ran off of the switch onto the rag I was using to catch the droppings. I put it all back together.

As a side note, the switch was loose on the column before I took it apart. It is now tight. When I first tured her back on, the flashing was worse than before. Same problem, but the flashes were more frequent. I shut her down, defeated, and went to bed. Last night I got to drive her. She started out the same way; but by the end of a 20 minute trip, she was hardly flashing at all. On th return trip she was the same way. It would flash every 30 seconds or so or go minutes without a flash. Before it was flashing every couple of seconds. Soooo all I can assume is that I somehow affected whatever is causing the problem with the WD 40 (remember it is as useful as duct tape).

A question I have deals with the operation of the switch. When you take it apart, there is a half moon looking washer/ring that fits up against the stearing column. Is that supposed to be a ground point? When I took mine apart it had electrical tape on the column where this fit. Some of it fell off and I did not replace it. If this is supposed to be metal to metal and ours have either been taped or dirty, then maybe this is the source of the short???? Just a thought.

Hopefully this may assist you guys. The phantom flashing on mine is no longer enough of an aggravation to warrant 2 bills on it. If anyone has any input on the ring contacting the column please let me know.

Have a great weekend!!

John
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Ok John, just read your post and realized you are still chasing the wrong demon the switch I changed and the one most likely to solve your issue is located under the dash by your left knee if you were sitting in the seat. It usually has a red knob that lights up when you pull it out...it is the 4-way flasher switch and the one I replaced to solve my issue. The switch you were checking is the turn signal switch and yes that one is expensive $177 or so...the one I am suggesting is about 80....hope this helps PM me if you need assistance we could talk on the phone. :)

710M