techniques for loosening that big giant cooling fan nut

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
indigoth

techniques for loosening that big giant cooling fan nut

Post by indigoth »

so, my fan belt is pretty loose. I really should adjust it before it leaps off the pulley somewhere. that big nut is mondo tight. I had a 4 foot breaker bar on it and couldn't budge it. I had some trouble holding the pin wrench in place while i was fighting with it. I don't have an impact wrench, nor am I able to get one in the near future.

any tips/clever ideas?

Thanks

Jim
krick3tt

Re: techniques for loosening that big giant cooling fan nut

Post by krick3tt »

Mine was also mondo tight...took two of us. One to hold the stock pin wrench (while on the driver side) I had to stand on it, and the other
to turn the nut with a breaker bar. My friend had a very interesting tool that went on the square end of the bar and multiplied
the force. I have not seen one before or since, been looking though.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I think this might be what you're looking for:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200315001

I saw one used once and was very impressed but couldn't convince myself I'd use it often enough. Of course that hasn't stopped me before when buying tools :D
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
spandit

Post by spandit »

I've discovered that normal driving does the job. I hope none of the cars behind us on the M6 got hit by the bits

Waiting for a tow truck :(
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Robin,

Did your fan blow up? I'm assuming so, from your reference to "bits". Pretty dramatic when it happens.

I found a piece embedded in, and nearly through, my engine cover. I ended up pulling the top tin off the motor, and found parts jammed into the cooling fins.

I can't help remembering the incident every time I run an engine with the cover removed. :!: A blast shield would be a wise idea for such an application.
spandit

Post by spandit »

No, fan is OK. It's the nut, pulley half & spacers I've lost. Writing this from the passenger seat if an AA flatbed
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)