24 and 12 volt electrical sources and ideas

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
captxmas

24 and 12 volt electrical sources and ideas

Post by captxmas »

I know it may have been asked before but I would appreciate input on solving this situation. I plan on placing a couple 12 volt batteries in the cabin of my 710K. Here what I would like to accomplish and would appreciate the advise of my Pinzing Peers.

1. How best to provide a charging source to keep the 12 volt batteries for 12 volt accessories charged? Hoping to tie into the existing 24 volt system and letting the alternator address this but I am unaware of the best 24 to 12 way to do this.

2. I have a 25 amp, small 24 to 12 volt power reducer that I plan to use by connecting to the twin power outlet box formally used to supply the military radios. (located on rear side of divider behind front passenger seat) will this be a good location to provide enough power for a radio, Davis communication head sets, a few Cigarette lighter power plugs, a few driving lamps, possible gps etc without melting the wiring or popping the breaker all the time. Also perhaps a MightyKool ice based air cooler. Not all of the items would be running consequetively

3. I have a 12 volt 2500 watt inverter to provide 110 volt power for occasional use of a mounted compressor (air horn, socket wrench and tire chuck) , Should I tap of the power reducer as described/located as above? or what have all of you done in this situation.

As always thanks for your help and suggestions.

John
Capt Xmas
krick3tt

Re: 24 and 12 volt electrical sources and ideas

Post by krick3tt »

might be something in here

http://www.24voltproducts.com/
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
spandit

Post by spandit »

25A voltage converter/dropper is pretty big - especially if you're only using it for the items you mentioned (not a criticism just an observation)

I have a large leisure battery that connects to my 12V "bus" (normally powered by 15A dropper) - having 2 of them sounds like a pain. It's in a portable box with a switch and a cigarette lighter socket built in. When the master switch on the Pinz is switched on, the dropper will recharge the battery
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
PinzHound

Post by PinzHound »

Why not get your 120vac straight from the 24vdc.
A 24vdc inverter
http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/itemd ... c=ML400-24
StuartL
Great Britain

Post by StuartL »

captxmas wrote:1. How best to provide a charging source to keep the 12 volt batteries for 12 volt accessories charged? Hoping to tie into the existing 24 volt system and letting the alternator address this but I am unaware of the best 24 to 12 way to do this.
You can't charge the 12v battery from a 12v source, the battery needs approx 14.4v to charge. You'll need a dedicated charge circuit.
captxmas wrote:2. I have a 25 amp, small 24 to 12 volt power reducer that I plan to use by connecting to the twin power outlet box formally used to supply the military radios. (located on rear side of divider behind front passenger seat) will this be a good location to provide enough power for a radio, Davis communication head sets, a few Cigarette lighter power plugs, a few driving lamps, possible gps etc without melting the wiring or popping the breaker all the time. Also perhaps a MightyKool ice based air cooler. Not all of the items would be running consequetively
The air cooler and driving lamps are the worries in that list. A 60W lamp will take 5A at 12v so it won't take many to use up your 25A allowance.

I'd work really hard on getting 24v versions of those accessories. Lamps are easy because you just wire them in pairs in series. When one blows neither lamp will light but it's an easy check to fix it. The air cooler is more of a problem. Can you get current consumption figures for it?
captxmas wrote:3. I have a 12 volt 2500 watt inverter to provide 110 volt power for occasional use of a mounted compressor (air horn, socket wrench and tire chuck) , Should I tap of the power reducer as described/located as above? or what have all of you done in this situation.
I'd be more tempted to get a 24v compressor than use an inverter. Inverters are horrible, inefficient, ugly things and you may as well save that for an RV or something else that's natively 12v. Instead find a Thomas 24 volt compressor and tie that into an air tank.
UK Virtual Assistant services in English: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have a 12 volt 2500 watt inverter to provide 110 volt power for occasional use of a mounted compressor...
Not possible! The 12 volt current draw from the inverter is likely to be between 100 and 200 amps when you are running your compressor. I have a 1500W inverter that runs directly from the truck's 24V batteries; running a small microwave and I still draw 50 amps from the batteries. The batteries can supply very large power (meaning lots of amps) for short durations, just like cranking the starter, but you won't find a 250 amp converter. Don't try to stack a 12V inverter off of a 24-12V converter, get an inverter that goes directly to 24 volts (or used a dedicated big 12V battery). If you try running from an inverter, let me know and I'll buy inverter stock... :roll:
Jim M.
712W and 710M