Battery equalizer

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
berger
Canada

Re: Battery equalizer

Post by berger »

krick3tt wrote:Berger,

I have installed a switch in the lead from the battery to the converter (per Jim) and have had no drainage issues.
I do remove the battery key when it is not running and I may save some things but, the direct connection to the
batteries would not be affected by the battery key in my case.
When I connected it, I did have a toggle switch from the 12V post of the EQ to my radio, but the 12V wire from the battery to the 12V post on the EQ was not switched. I was advised to run the ground from the main ground on the truck to the EQ ground and the 24V from the 24V wire at the master switch to the 24V post on the EQ. The 24V was deactivated by the master switch. I also used the proper gauge wire to span the distances. I think I read somewhere here that my not going directly to the batteries was most likely my problem.

This is the EQ I used and the instructions to go with it. If I use this on the Pinz, I will make sure it is right beside that batteries. I didn't have this option with the Iltis.

Last edited by berger on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

interesting!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

audiocontr wrote:interesting!
The EQ? I bought it on eBay for $100 new from a Farm store. I called a couple John Deere shops just to get an idea of what they cost...$600!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Berger,
Unlike many disconnects, the 710/12 Pinz's disconnect switch is on the ground side. This means if you wire any chassis ground component directly to the batteries, you stand a very good chance of burning it up if you try to start the Pinz with the disconnect off.... Simply put, with the switch off , those little electrical bugs find the easiest way to complete a circuit and if it's through a circuit board to the chassis, the smoke genie appears.
For some odd reason, electronic devices just don't seem to handle the same amperage as a 2 gauge wire. :? :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

David Dunn wrote:Berger,
Unlike many disconnects, the 710/12 Pinz's disconnect switch is on the ground side. This means if you wire any chassis ground component directly to the batteries, you stand a very good chance of burning it up if you try to start the Pinz with the disconnect off.... Simply put, with the switch off , those little electrical bugs find the easiest way to complete a circuit and if it's through a circuit board to the chassis, the smoke genie appears.
For some odd reason, electronic devices just don't seem to handle the same amperage as a 2 gauge wire. :? :lol:
Thanks! I am definitely not an electrical guy. I think I may just lean towards 24v accessories and go from there. I know my GPS can handle 24v, it is just the iPhone I want hook ups for...
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

For a simple charger, just wire in a small voltage reducer to a cigarette socket for a charger. Or one of our electronic wizards can tell you what resistor in line will do the same thing.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)