Battery equalizer

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
krick3tt

Battery equalizer

Post by krick3tt »

Looked this up in search mode. Only things about using them.

Where can I get one?
edit: I'm talking about the type in the SDP how to site

Think it is about time I did a bit of an upgrade for my 12V stuff and to charge the aux battery.
Last edited by krick3tt on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Battery equalizer

Post by audiocontr »

Hmm, i purchased the one designed to allow you to tap 12v off of one battery and it equalizes the others. The thing blew up multiple times. Waste of money im afraid.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
StuartL
Great Britain

Post by StuartL »

I too have a skepticism of battery equalizers. I'd much rather regulate the 24v down to 12v where required than try tapping one battery and all the pain that gives. It's not difficult to make your own 12v power supply and you can do it in one chip if you need anything less than about 5 amps. In the UK I can get these chips for about $10, I imagine you can probably get them from mouser, digikey etc for about $5.

Of course if you run one regulator per appliance you minimise the chance of cross-talk, too, which can only be a good thing.

If you do decide to build your own make sure you use a switching regulator, otherwise it's going to get really hot really fast when you pull high currents.
UK Virtual Assistant services in English: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have purchased the battery equalizer and will install it when it is delivered. Today the pinz would not start.
One battery was very low and the other one apparently could not carry the starter enough to get it going.

How does one battery get low and not the other? The one closest to the negative lead to the battery key
is the low one.

edit: It started fine yesterday, not today.
Last edited by krick3tt on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

After sitting unused for a month or so, my batteries have different charges as well. Even with the battery switch off. I now hook up a charger to each one every few months, it evens them out after just a few hours of charge. No problems since.
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

While this is not a "battery equalizer", it may help if you have standby time between runnings. I would recommend a 24 volt battery charger conditioner...

I looked into them and did not buy due to price. EI now has some that may improve your batteries or will extend the life of new batteries (if you have to replace your old ones :( ).

http://www.expedition-imports.com/produ ... ystem.html

Where the stuff came from and who uses it...
http://pulsetech.net/productinfo/productinfo.html

It was an easy install. The kit came with the bits including rubber grommets, connectors, etc. I added 4 long SS bolts and 4 nylon spacers to the kit so the panel does not sit on the body.
Attachments
Added long SS bolts, delryn spacers and inserts
Added long SS bolts, delryn spacers and inserts
photo 2.JPG (27.3 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
Drilled holes, painted holes and installed inserts...
Drilled holes, painted holes and installed inserts...
photo 3.JPG (23.4 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
Installed panel and ran wire into cab and followed the wire harness to batteries...
Installed panel and ran wire into cab and followed the wire harness to batteries...
photo 4.JPG (30.45 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
Last edited by BobbyD on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

Finished version is inconspicuous, should not snag on stuff and seems to make a difference. ie my abused batteries actually are starting the vehicle. Downsides... It is another damn thing that I get asked about after answering someones question with, "No, the truck does not float" :roll: .
Attachments
Small footprint...
Small footprint...
photo 5.JPG (32.17 KiB) Viewed 5918 times
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Morris,

I had the SAV equalizer, and I too had one battery that would tend to go low, even with the cutoff switch "off". I too took to periodically recharging both batteries.

It was my understanding that the equalizer would only drop the higher batt's charge down to match the lower batt's charge. But this still doesn't explain one battery going low. The equalizer's instructions warned about connecting the ground last, and disconnecting it first, IIRC. It's possible that at some time I didn't do that correctly, and perhaps I damaged it. Either way, it was less than satisfactory.

I recently bought one of the Solargizer units, and I mounted mine inside the windshield on the front of the dash housing. Another solar charger I own shows an output when it's mounted there, so I assume this will work ok there. It's also more protected there than outside the vehicle.

Luckily, one end of my garage is all glass, so hopefully this solves my issues. If you're interested in a fire sale on the equalizer, it's available. No guarantees however. :cry:

Paul
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Paul,

I bought the equalizer from Solar Converters, Inc. (model EQ 12/24 20) I hope it does the trick. My garage is all enclosed and I keep the pinz inside
almost all the time so having a solar charger for anything really doesn't help me. I have one on the front for charging the 'spare' battery that runs the
ARB cooler while camping. I used that battery to replace the low one just to get the pinz started the other day. I have seen 24 V battery monitors but
they need to be in the sun to do their job effectively.

Today I go for new batteries. I will keep the good one and replace the low one. I'll use the good one for something else. I really need to find someone
that has installed the equalizer and can show me the correct places to put the wires so I don't screw it up. I can use it to also keep the spare charged as
it is the only 12 V item except the CB and radio, but they come off a 24/12 converter mounted above the passenger head cushion.

I am trying to get ready for the trip to NWMF in a few weeks. Have several other trips coming up and would like to know it's going to start when I am out
in the middle of nowhere. Also going to the North Rim of Grand Canyon with a stop in Moab in October. Looks to be an exciting summer for pinz travel.
Having new windows put in the top and maybe new tires, too.

Thanks for the fire sale offer.

edit: can I connect the 12v output of the equalizer directly to my spare battery to charge it? I have a solar controller for the panel, should I go through
that to charge the battery? As you see I am confused by this electronic stuff and don't want to let the smoke genie out.

Morris
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

*****I am trying to get ready for the trip to NWMF in a few weeks. Have several other trips coming up and would like to know it's going to start when I am out
in the middle of nowhere. Also going to the North Rim of Grand Canyon with a stop in Moab in October. Looks to be an exciting summer for pinz travel.***

You were just in Ouray for RMP Treffen! :shock: When I grow up I wanna be just like you! 8)
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Morris, if it were me I would not attempt to charge your 12v house battery using the equalizer (I drought the manufacture designed it for use as a charger), I’d use the solar panel for the 12v charge. I’m also very fond of my small 2k Honda generator, has a 12v charge outlet as well as being able to power a microwave. 8)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Mark,

Not to worry...I haven't grown up yet....doubt I will.

I did enjoy talking with you. I like your style.

Morris

edit: Just installed two new batteries. Wow what a difference...starts right up and the dash lights are so bright
I have to use shades in my garage. Was starting very slowly before, that should have been a clue, but a clue
for what I did not know.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

While reading through past posts and trying to absorb as much as I could before I get a Pinz, I have read a few things on EQ/Converters etc. I installed a 24/12 EQ/Converter, made by John Deere, into my Iltis, and I experienced many of the same issues people have had with batteries dying, losing charge etc. Admittedly, I may have done a shite job with the install, as I am electrically challenged, but I followed the directions, and did work...except for the drainage. Glad to see I am not alone... :mrgreen: I think for the Pinz, I am just going to buy a 24V amp board and keep it simple, when it comes to connecting my iPhone/IPOD and Garmin 60cX.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Berger,

I have installed a switch in the lead from the battery to the converter (per Jim) and have had no drainage issues.
I do remove the battery key when it is not running and I may save some things but, the direct connection to the
batteries would not be affected by the battery key in my case.
Heed

Post by Heed »

I installed a 24 volt 'Battery Tender' in the garage in front of where I park.

With permanent leads on the battery posts that are run through the air tunnel, I can plug in the truck for storage without issue. I have used it for a couple of years now without issue. It conditions/trickle charges the batteries over the winter, or for long periods of storage and the truck starts right up in the Spring.

The connector is a two-pole quick-connect style. Very easy to use.
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!