How tough is the fuel injection system?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Mac

How tough is the fuel injection system?

Post by Mac »

Hey all,
So i recently purchased the Pinz on here that was for sale in Chapel Hill- the fuel injected one. I don't know anything about the kit in it- I was told it was done in Georgia and that it was a prototype vehicle for it?

Anyway- what I'm really looking for is just how tough is this system off road? I am yet to do any 4x4ing in my Pinz and looking to go shortly. I'm mostly worried about mud and deep water\puddles. Am I going to kill my Pinz if it takes a small plunge into some nice clean watery mud?
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: How tough is the fuel injection system?

Post by audiocontr »

Time to search the forum on EFI. You will find your vehicle previously mentioned.

The truck in original factory condition performs very well while fording water. Not knowing how well your electrical connections of the EFI are insulated, I'd be weary until i fully understand the inner workings
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

As long no water gets sucked into the engine it should do ok.
The systems I use (EMS8860/4860/Stinger4)work very nice on and off road . It started out(2004) set up for batch fire(similar to your SDS set up) while waiting for new firmware then was upgraded to full sequential. I gained a bit of torque after the upgrade.

Places I used to stall on(steep or very off camber) the engine just keeps chugging away now. The only down side is the cost, but it is virtually maintenence free compared to carbs if done right.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Get rid of the freaking pvc air intake and put the factory air cleaner back on it! I've driven mine with the same set up (although the install looks a little cleaner)
several thousand miles. I'd say it out preforms the factory carbs.