circuit breaker source

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
blackstack
United States of America

circuit breaker source

Post by blackstack »

Anyone have a source for circuit breaker that will work/fit ?
pcolette
United States of America

Re: circuit breaker source

Post by pcolette »

E-T-A made the original 8 amp circuit breakers and they now make a 24V 10 amp as a replacement for it that many marine supply companies sell. Sea Choice repackages it under their own brand as part #13111. Companies like West Marine, etc. carry them though i found the best deal on eBay. There are a few listed on there now- here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEA-CHOI ... 1083wt_941

I've used these and they work fine but unfortunately won't mount the same way as the originals. They have a threaded neck that fits thru the original holes but won't fit the original bracket. I ended up replacing all of them at once. They also have spade terminals rather than screw type so you'd need to crimp on some new female terminals to the existing wiring. Probably took me 2-3 hours to do working at a slow pace with a few breaks. Not a hard job, just tedious. Here's a shot of the finished project:
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg (59.9 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thanks!!

I searched ebay and found this 8 amp also by eta....it looks like it will fit as a replacement
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmd ... MEWNXQ3aIT
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Blackstack - did you have any luck with these cb's that you found on ebay. They are still available. Specs look good. Was wondering about the fit?
Sam
'71 710K
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

pcolette wrote:E-T-A made the original 8 amp circuit breakers and they now make a 24V 10 amp as a replacement for it that many marine supply companies sell. Sea Choice repackages it under their own brand as part #13111. Companies like West Marine, etc. carry them though i found the best deal on eBay. There are a few listed on there now- here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEA-CHOI ... 1083wt_941

I've used these and they work fine but unfortunately won't mount the same way as the originals. They have a threaded neck that fits thru the original holes but won't fit the original bracket. I ended up replacing all of them at once. They also have spade terminals rather than screw type so you'd need to crimp on some new female terminals to the existing wiring. Probably took me 2-3 hours to do working at a slow pace with a few breaks. Not a hard job, just tedious. Here's a shot of the finished project:
IMG_0563.jpg
Hello...I know it has been a long time since you did it, but can you tell me what you had to modify to make the replacements work? Did you just mount them by the neck ?? thanks in advance
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've been working on a second dash re-wire for about a year now :oops: , so here are some current photos:
IMG_4262.jpg
IMG_4262.jpg (101.45 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
IMG_4264.jpg
IMG_4264.jpg (114.11 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
IMG_4265.jpg
IMG_4265.jpg (88.68 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
IMG_4266.jpg
IMG_4266.jpg (66.44 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
The plastic nuts on the cb's bump into each other so you need to start at the top or the bottom of each row and work your way along tightening carefully as you slide them into each other. I hope this makes sense.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Paul you always have the best pictures!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
dbixby001
United States of America

Post by dbixby001 »

Is this still the best and recommended way for upgrading circuit breakers? I have 2 that are popping - one of which which has been popping randomly for years. I intend to dig into them more, but IF I need to replace the breakers, is this topic the best approach that others recommend?

On a related note, if I understand correctly, this approach replaces the 24v 8amp breakers with 24v 10amp breakers. Does that introduce any risk (10amp vs 8amp)?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The original style 8A breakers are available ar SAV : https://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.p ... 7101850760
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have been running the marine breakers for many years in my Pinz. No issues to date. At the time is cost $5 ea for the marine and $60 for a single pinz replacement. I tried to replace one to the original style that was being sold by the dealers but it was more in line with a Mog breaker and was not a direct fit. After that I figured if I was going to spend the money, why not have all new.