Wiper motor cleanup

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
krick3tt

Re: Wiper motor cleanup

Post by krick3tt »

check this out for intermittent wiper control

Part No.: SAV1030
Group: 35
Description: On Sale Regular Price $ 106.77
Price: 89.50 US$
Availability: IN STOCK
Condition: NEW
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

ElectraPinz wrote: Sent the motor to Don the Wiper Guy and he fixed it,
Could you provide contact info for Don?
ElectraPinz wrote: For that reason, I'm thinking about adding a "kill" switch to the power supply ( some day!!), so if the motor gets stalled again, I won't "smoke it."
The Pinzgauer engineers provided a handy emergency kill for the wiper motor in case of wiper bind, just reach over and yank the wires from the motor. :) and how would I know this? :lol:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I just worked on the wipers on my 710, the passenger side pushrod had gotten bent as the wiper pivot had moved down farther than normal until it pointed straight at the motor; so the crank just bent the rod. It turns out that the rubber bushings that the motor mounts with had crushed down, and the motor pivioted towards the drivers side which pulled the passenger side too far. I added some thin fender washers between the motor/gearbox and the rubber bushings which straightened out the motor; bent the pushrod back into shape and mechanically all is well.

My motor would not park, so I opened it up to see what was the problem. The grease in the gearbox was so old and hard that the little pin that cams on the side of the output gear was frozen in place; it was not free to push against the brass leaf switch that controls the parking. I scraped out most of the old grease, re-lubed it with new grease (and a drop of oil on the pin) and now it parks like it should. It really was not too hard to do, but "heavy handed" people should be very careful with the armature as the wires are subject to getting broken (be VERY careful turning the armature by hand, as you have to touch the armature wires).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
ElectraPinz

Post by ElectraPinz »

Could you provide contact info for Don?
Don West - "The Wiper Guy"
Email: DWESTFAMILY4@aol.com
Address: 3730 NE Grandhaven Drive, McMinville, OR 97218
Cell - 503-434-3530
Home Phone - 503-434-6486
He advertises a lot on thesamba.com, which is a VW bug and beetle forum - some good and relevant info in that forum as well.

Ben
Last edited by ElectraPinz on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
ElectraPinz

Post by ElectraPinz »

krick3tt wrote:check this out for intermittent wiper control

Part No.: SAV1030
Group: 35
Description: On Sale Regular Price $ 106.77
Price: 89.50 US$
Availability: IN STOCK
Condition: NEW
I've had my eye on that one, and it's starting to look better with the price reduction. Here are a couple of other ideas that I discovered:

Speed Control $19.95: http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=847

Speed controller w/ frequency control $32.95: http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1855

Speed and duty cycle controller $69.95: http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/UK1133

I just haven't had time to start an inquiry with the supplier as to how frequency or duty cycle control might relate to "interval" control. It they don't, el cheapo $19.95 might be the ticket.

I've just been too preoccupied with other stuff:

engine (coil) problems: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6538

stuck: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6619

Ben
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Ben,

I bought the interval control from SAV when I was in WA thinking with the misty drizzle there it would be easier than turning the wipers
off and on all the time...never installed it. It got put in a box and when we moved to CO and I unpacked stuff...there it was, waiting for me
to do something with it.

Now its too cold in the garage to do it so it will wait till spring, maybe. I have several projects waiting for warmth to get done.

Some of those things you included links to appear to need boxes to protect them.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
ElectraPinz

Post by ElectraPinz »

krick3tt wrote: Now its too cold in the garage to do it so it will wait till spring, maybe. I have several projects waiting for warmth to get done.

Some of those things you included links to appear to need boxes to protect them.
Are you kidding? Wait for warmth? Here I am, trying to get my poor Pinz running so I can haul my grandkids to the slopes, working outside my house in the shade where the temp starts at 10 degrees and warms up to 25. And imagine the Canucks and those poor souls in Alaska. Of course, we "real natives" are pretty tough! :lol:

Regarding those devices I linked to, yes, they would need boxes, unless they can be crammed behind the instrument panel. Having just spent the better part of a day with my head stuck up there, probably won't happen. More opportunity for ingenuity!!

(Portions of the above played on the world's smallest violin)

Ben
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Ouch