Wiper motor cleanup

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
crcpinz

Wiper motor cleanup

Post by crcpinz »

Gentlemen,
My wiper motor gets stuck and smokes every once in a while when I try to start it. If I remove the cover and turn the armature by hand until it feels free then it starts OK for about 6 or 8 tries. and then gets stuck again. I'm pretty sure I need to clean it but haven't read here or elsewhere how to go about doing this. I've bought "Gunk Energized Electric Motor Cleaner". Do I need to buy something else before I start disassembly, such as bearings/retainers? Any help will be very appreciated.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Wiper motor cleanup

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I found my armature needed realigned to get it to even start. once I did that, cleaned, and lubed everything it ran faster than my other pinzs wiper motor. Been a couple years now and still no other issues with it.
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

OK, so how do you "realign the armature"?
1976 710K
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

While you are playing around with the motor, don't forget to check the arms and the nuts both inside and out of
the shaft going through the windscreen frame. Loose nuts are a problem area. OK... :roll: :oops:
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

Oh yah, loose nuts can be a problem.

Couldn't resist :lol:
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Yes, also nuts on the loose and lost/missing nuts. You guys are funny.
Anyway, I drenched the motor with the spray motor/contact cleaner on site twice and blew out the excess. I loosened the two rear brasslike support screws and tried to play around with the armature but there is no leeway, so when the screws get tightened again it is as before. Haven't lubricated it yet. I'll have to take it completely apart this weekend. Thanks to all.
1976 710K
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Sounds like its binding. It likes to tweak itself towards the passenger side. The rubber dampners give just a tad. I loosened mine, pulled it to the side and tightened it down. fixed the issue.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Took mine completly apart and cleaned out all the crusty grease. Then reassembled it with fresh high temp Moly grease. Unit runs perfect now.
These are the same motors that are used in vintage VW's and Porsche's so if you need parts for them they are cheaper to go through a VW supply company. The little spring that hold the carbon pads against the windings sometimes breaks due to to much electrical heat. If you need one of those springs or any other internal part contact Don West at 503-434-3530 Nick named "DL West the Wiper Guy" in the vintage VW world. He is the athority in my opinion.
Of course he does full rebuilds with warenties as well.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Interesting Shawn - Do you know if the pivot piece that goes through the windshield frame is also available from the VW world? (the portion the wiper arm connects to)
They are incredibly expensive here ($150)
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

audiocontr wrote:Interesting Shawn - Do you know if the pivot piece that goes through the windshield frame is also available from the VW world? (the portion the wiper arm connects to)
If yours are anything like mine were you could weld them up and turn them back down.
Attachments
Picture 002 (Small).jpg
Picture 002 (Small).jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
Picture 012 (Small).jpg
Picture 012 (Small).jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

It is $161 from SAV...buy two... :(
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

audiocontr wrote:Interesting Shawn - Do you know if the pivot piece that goes through the windshield frame is also available from the VW world? (the portion the wiper arm connects to)
Just the motors are the same, none of the linkage pieces look that familiar. Don does have access to alot of SWF NOS parts though so it might be worth contacting and asking if he has anything that looks like what you need.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

OK, so I took the motor apart (not the gearbox) and cleaned it thoroughly, though it wasn't dirty at all. Greased it well (the armature shaft) and put it back together. Not once. Maybe 50 times in four hours. Trial and error. The main problem was the two screws holding the brass fixture that holds the brushes. At last, when I was about to give up for the day because the motor was a lot worse than before, something miraculous happened. I removed the two "shims" between the brass module and the magnet base, They are rectangular in shape and a few mms thick and are some sort of an adjustment feature. The motor works as never before. The armature is so loose inside of the magnets and the wipers move so fast that when I turn the wipers off the motor keeps spinning due to inertia (I guess) and leaves the wipers at half-mast. Sorry, but I don't know what I did right. Insist.
1976 710K
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Forgot to mention that when the armature is stuck and you turn off the motor it still has power until the wipers reach their resting point. Try not to get your fingers caught between the armature and magnet. It's better to use some rag or something to try to turn the armature by hand.
1976 710K
ElectraPinz

Post by ElectraPinz »

I took my motor apart and discovered two stripped gears. Sent the motor to Don the Wiper Guy and he fixed it, using gears from a Porsche motor. He did a one-hour bench test and also confirmed that the motor stops in the park position - very important, as previously noted. For that reason, I'm thinking about adding a "kill" switch to the power supply ( some day!!), so if the motor gets stalled again, I won't "smoke it." Actually I'm researching a speed control, or maybe a speed and interval control and on/off. Anyone's ideas/info would be greatly appreciated.

Cost was $70 plus $20 two-way shipping. He says that he can usually rebuild these motors for $60 to $90.

He's a great guy and really knows his stuff.

Ben