Rev Limiter Testing

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
jrcotner
United States of America

Rev Limiter Testing

Post by jrcotner »

Is there a method to test the 4500 rpm rev limiter?
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
spandit

Re: Rev Limiter Testing

Post by spandit »

Find a hill.... :D

If you could turn the alternator at 4500rpm with a drill or something, you might be able to test it. You'd obviously have to take the fan belt off (and fan too, I think). If I recall, it's not actually a limiter, just a warning light. In top gear I've never got close due to the aerodynamic efficiency of the truck!

I have, however, installed MegaJolt ignition which comes with a rev limiter built in which you can set at any level. That works (the basic version just puts the ignition timing to zero but you can install an add-on that cuts it completely)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I can get mine to turn on with sufficient flat or downhill highway use (if I'm not paying attention, my truck slowly, very slowly gains speed under the right circumstances).....

You can also get it to blip if you put her in low gear and rev it up. I was in 4 lo this summer in some sand and had my RPM high enough to get a flicker....

:shock:
1972 710m
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The rev limiter grounds out the voltage to the coil keep the engine from over speeding, this is to keep military personel from speeding or damaging the engine. The engine can actually go up to 5000 rpm for short periods without damage if the module is bypassed.
If the light on the panel flashes as you turn on the key, the module is working.
Most module failures result in early grounding(Light comes on below 4500rpm), this type of module failure usually limits top speed to around 57mph.
All this information is in the repair and operators manuals that every Pinz owner should have, you just have to take the time to read it.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
spandit

Post by spandit »

Interesting, I didn't realise it actually functioned as a limiter
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Most module failures result in early grounding(Light comes on below 4500rpm), this type of module failure usually limits top speed to around 57mph.
Mine failed so that it was partially grounding across all rpm ranges, including idle. From my experience the average DC voltage at the + side of the coil should be about 17 volts; with my bad RPM module I was only getting about 8 volts at the coil. Removing the module and jumpering the middle two terminals from each row together gave me back 17 volts at the coil, with an amazing difference in performance.

I would suggest checking the coil voltage while the engine is running (not the points/Pertronix side of the coil) and if you don't have at least 14-15 volts I'd suspect the module was failing. I don't have any realistic way to determine if it limits the RPMs, or what RPMs light the indicator. The module actually measures the rate of ignition pulses and has no idea or care what speed the alternator is going.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

I have Jim L's 2.7L kit and regularily bounce the light on between shifts. Normally it lights and then I shift, but once while pre-occupied with a merging vehicle doing silly things the engine shut down. Probably hit 5000 rpm, so yes it is a rev limiter.
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

Jimm had the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN