Any point keeping old heater blower motor?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
spandit

Re: Any point keeping old heater blower motor?

Post by spandit »

MY6812 100W 24V
www.unitemotor.com

That's all the info I have, I'm afraid
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

You've peaked my interest in this project. How is the air flow with the new motor versus the original? I get some flow out of the window vents, but no much of anything on the floor. I just figured it wasn't built with a good heater. Did the change in the motor improve things?

Thanks for the reply. I'm always looking for a good project.

John
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

If you are getting nothing at the floor, you can adjust the flow with the lever on the hose.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
spandit

Post by spandit »

The old motor had got soaked when the previous owner went through a large puddle and although it turned, it was barely pushing any air through. The new one is quite vigorous. Have you tried stripping your motor to see how it looks inside?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Actually no. I just got my truck back in August. So, I'm still learning about her. I was just resigned to the fact that they were a bit chilly in the cold weather. Your post made me think that a small modification may improve heat flow. Krickit is right that I can adjust the lever for air flow to the floor, but it really doesn't blow like you'd like or expect.

I looked at my "repair manual" last night and there really isn't anything in there about taking the heater motor out. It shows you where it is; but no details about performing any work, maintenance, or replacement to same. I guess one weekend I'll start tinkering with it. Any tips to getting it out and checking it you'd like to share?

John
spandit

Post by spandit »

Grow another elbow?

Buy a 2-way connector and cut the wires leading to the motor (with enough left so you can fit the connector in). Taking it out is fairly straightforward and taking the motor apart is pretty easy if you've taken motors apart before... :) You might find it corroded inside - mine got very hot whilst turning
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

John, one of the things to remember is the heater in the Pinz is mostly intended to defrost the windshield and secondarily take the bite off the cold in the cab. In the military the occupants of the truck would be expected to be dressed for the conditions outside the truck.

In a military tactical vehicle of the 70’s heat was not as expected as it is today.

The auxiliary heaters in the 710k’s and ambulance trucks were more for the rear occupants as the functions they were performing required better dexterity than could be preformed while wearing heavy clothing and gloves, such as radio operations, note taking, or caring for the injured.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

That's what I figured Ed. Thanks for the post. We aren't cold down here for long; but it does get down into the 20's for a stretch and us Southerners appreciate a bit of heat when it does. I can handle the 110 degree 100% humidity better than the 20 degree 80% humidity days. I know some of you guys go barefoot in the snow. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that. :D .

I may pull the old motor out just to check her out; but probably leave her alone. A well placed and well secured Buddy Heater may be the ticket!!!

She may get her first trip into the woods with my boys and I this weekend. Wild Boar and deer season has opened around here for Youth hunters. I don't fit the bill but my boys are itching to go. We will see how she does out at the lease.

JL
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

John L, check the hoses coming from the heat exchangers next time you have the engine cover off; you could just have an overall low amount of hot air due to it escaping from holes in the hoses. I suggest it because mine have gaping holes in them that I know I won't get the ambition to fix until the weather gets colder. For now my heater is anemic at best, I figure patching the hoses should improve it somewhat.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Wrap those hoses with foil covered fiberglass insulation. Did mine years ago and it improved the heat
transfer about 75%. Those cloth hoses loose almost all of their heat before it ever comes to the cab...also
put the blackout curtain down between the cab and the rear area, just heat the cab.
I used the type of insulation that is used to cover water pipes to aid in preventing freezing. Works great.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg »

Just a note about electric motors from a powerchair. These motors are high torque sealed motors. Mine are located about 2 or 3 inches off the ground and have been totally submurged. I drive my powerchair like I drive my Pinz!!!