Aircraft Battery - Anyone using one?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
milesdzyn

Aircraft Battery - Anyone using one?

Post by milesdzyn »

I've been looking at the option of using a Aircraft 24v battery in the Pinz, I've heard that they are designed as a true 24v battery so it would not have the same issues of one of the 12v batteries getting a weaker charge and being prone to failure. Also I think that they are built to a higher standard with less failures, but they may need more mantainence, I think most or them are Nickel Cadmium bases. Any info would be great if anyone has real world experience with these. I know they are expensive but every now and then I see a great deal on eBay for these.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Aircraft Battery - Anyone using one?

Post by David Dunn »

I don't know a thing about those batteries, but I'd stay with 2 12volt batteries instead of a single 24v. If you have a problem, you have to have a 24v system to jump you. With 2 12v, you can get jumped off a 12 volt system without too much trouble.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

When a battery "fails", it is usually a failure of just one of the many cells. Be that failure one of six cells (12V lead acid), one of 12 cells (24V lead acid), or one of 20 cells (24V nickel cadmium) won't make any difference, failure is failure. If the two 12V batteries are matched in capacity and age they should both last as long as one 24V battery. It is the accesibility of the interconnection that causes problems when you tap power from only one of the two batteries. A once or twice yearly independent charge of each of the two 12V batteries will also prolong their life as a pair.

And while I cannot say for certain, the charging regime and voltages may be different for the aircraft NiCads than for lead acid. I do agree that the aircraft batteries are manufacturered to a higher standard but they are also designed for minimum weight; this may make them less robust then a heavy overkill of lead acid batteries -- i.e., they will not have the reserve capacity nor the cold cranking amps of the stock Pinz batteries.

Let us know how it works if you decide to go the aircraft battery route.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Back in the ‘70s many of our (USMC) aviation ground support mobile electrical power units and jet start units used 24 volt batteries.

The good that I remember was the quick connect feature of these batteries, no wrench required just turn the knob.

The bad was the battery’s weighed as much as two 12 volt batteries. Easier to move the 12 volt’s one at a time than one 24 volt. Two trips across the room with half the weight, or one trip with twice the weight.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
czarthirteen

Post by czarthirteen »

The 24v NiCad will likely not respond much t the charging of a 35 amp altenator considering the altenator on our old Cessna 337 is 145 amp.....not that there is much draw, but it does seem to need the umph to receive a charge, anything less from the altenator and our battery gets weak pretty quickly.

My reccommendation is to stick with two wet cell 12v batteries of a solid manufacture; I'm using factory Mercedes Benz batterie, they seem to do the trick really well.......and are heavy as all heck......great for that chassis weight.
Pinzgauer 712AMB
VW Passat GLX 4motion wagon
Triumph Sprint ST Executive
1986 VW Golf Diesel (AAZ diesel motor, Quattro drivetrain)
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Totally correct with regard to the mercedes benz batteries...not only are they heavy as hell...I have been running one for over 5 years now in my 300d and there is no signs of this battery beginning to degrade...normally batteries last 3 years and its all down hill from there
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I recently replaced the 7 year old Costco Kirkland batteries in my 710K with another set of the same; they are well rated and very reasonably priced. I had one battery no would longer maintain a full charge. I suppose I could have attempted to recondition them however felt it was time for a new set.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Sounds like it may not be a good replacement after all, thanks for the replies.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M