Blackout light socket questions.

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
CentAr712
United States of America

Blackout light socket questions.

Post by CentAr712 »

In a Pinz that did not come equipped with a blackout light from the factory, is the wiring harness or part of it left out? I've read posts on here that seem to conflict a bit, one user said he wired up a blackout light to the socket no problem, while I saw it mentioned by another person that breaker #7, the one for the blackout lights is usually not connected to anything. Last night I tested mine by connecting the accessory light that came plugged into my accessory socket. When I flipped the headlight switch to the blackout positions I got nothing, even though I can see that the socket on the center console has wiring attached.

That makes me ask, since there is a possibility that my 7 breaker isn't hooked up, then where does the wire attached to the socket start if that is so? I'm just wondering if I need to install a section of wire, or if there are more components missing or if perhaps if my circuit for the blackout lights is completely wired, but just not working due to a short or a broken wire or something. I tested the switch with the Pinz both running and shut-off.

Thanks.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
undysworld
Norway

Re: Blackout light socket questions.

Post by undysworld »

I'm afraid I can't answer those questions, but I'll throw in my 2 cents, FWIW.

My truck had a reverse switch and lamps added after import. When I added a blackout lamp I wanted to be able to turn on the blackout lamp but I didn't want those reverse lamps working. I located the 24v+ output on the light switch which was live when the blackout mode was selected. I used this to turn on/off a 24v relay that had both normally-closed and normally-open taps. In the normally closed mode (light switch in normal mode), the relay allows the reverse lamps to work. But when the relay is activated (light switch in blackout mode), then the reverse lamps are killed and the blackout lamp is on.

I figured my LED blackout lamp drew less current than the reverse lamps did, so that's where the lamp/s power comes from.
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

So, undysworld, when you wired up your blackout light, did you use the socket in the console at all or did you just run a new wire straight from the switch to the light? The relay is a great idea, I'd have never thought of that, but I plan on wiring in a manual switch for back-up lights. I was sort of assuming that if #7 breaker was not connected, it would most likely need to be connected in line before the switch, but since you say the blackout positions on the switch were already hot, now I have to assume the breaker would be wired in after the switch. I'm not too good at electrical work, so I really appreciate the input, thanks.
Chris.
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I guess I've begun to answer my own questions by poking around under the dash. I had the doghouse off to fix a heat exchanger hose today so I figured it would be a good time to look under the dash since I had more room. It appears that the entire wiring harness for the blackout light is there. #7 breaker as well as all the blackout terminals on the light switch are all wired up and the wire from the plug enters the main wire harness that leads to the dash. The only thing now is figuring out why my socket isn't working. The socket seemed tight to the mounting hole so I don't think it's a bad ground, I guess I'm gonna have to get a volt-meter.
Chris.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Chris,
My reverse lights were wired up from the light switch, with no fuse in-line after the switch. I assumed they were fused prior to the switch, and to be truthful never even checked it. !!
I assumed I would be drawing equal or less power using the blackout lamp, so I just kept the power source as I found it.
I did not use the socket.
Paul
ps A multi-meter is well worth owning.