Problems w/ Bumping Up AMP's...

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Roverchef
Germany

Problems w/ Bumping Up AMP's...

Post by Roverchef »

What are the down sides to installing 4 batteries in two sets to bump up the amps? 2 batteries wired parallel and then 2 more batteries wired parallel and then wire the two sets together in series still = 24v but with double the standard amps. Will the factory wiring hold or will I let the "Smoke" out of the harness? I will install 0-2 gauge battery wiring and new terminals and alternator wire. Should the rest of the harness be okay? The only reason I ask is because I would like to run alot of 12v items off of a fuse box wired to a 24v to 12v converter. Should I upgrade the alternator instead of the batteries? Thanks for any ideas.
cruzoropeza

Re: Problems w/ Bumping Up AMP's...

Post by cruzoropeza »

What is it that you want to run?
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Batteries are storage. You can run 100 of em and have gobs of reserves. The problem is what happens when you draw more than you put in? You turn Into the us economy.

A better solution is to run off 2 batteries and supply enough amperage from the alternator to cover the draw of your accessories. Minor accessories can be run off a convertor with no issue. Others cause many.

These trucks have about 35 amps stock at 24 volts. Stay within those bounds or look into a 3 pulley driveshaft and run a 12 v alternator.

Then again a search should have answered this all.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

if I did a search you would not have had a chance to share your wisdom with us young folk! Thanks for the thoughts.

Then again a search should have answered this all.[/quote]
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

cruzoropeza wrote:What is it that you want to run?
Interior lights,radio,cb,fans,fridge,ect!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Lights, fans, fridge can all be had in 24 volt versions. Radio, CB, etc. can be driven from a 24-12V converter; they can be had up to 40 amps output at 12V.

Some have had the Pinz alternator rewound for 50+ amps output but they tend to suffer not charging as well as the stock 35A when at idle.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

Roverchef wrote:
cruzoropeza wrote:What is it that you want to run?

U should be fine with an inverter, you could also think of doing a separate 12v system with a solar kit? I wouldn't mess with the stock charging system because of issues at idle.

And about the doing a "search before you ask", I don't fully agree with that because if that were the case everything has technically already been talked about and gone over. so this would make the forum kinda pointless. Just my two cents don't mean to offend anyone. I just love helping people and that's what I love of this site is that everyone is super helpful! Cheers!
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

This forum has an incredible amount of information in both it's members ands it's archives. A little bit of reading and research will not only answer the inquiries, but also inform on questions not asked yet.

I try to search my questions prior (not always vigilant) but if it's in the archives, it's an immediate answer.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

audiocontr wrote:This forum has an incredible amount of information in both it's members ands it's archives. A little bit of reading and research will not only answer the inquiries, but also inform on questions not asked yet.

I try to search my questions prior (not always vigilant) but if it's in the archives, it's an immediate answer.
I think I will start a new post on tire size and another one on changing out the stock motor for something else :twisted:
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Guys
For info there is a Bosch 50A 24v integral alternator that will fit directly into the cowl/fan housing.
I have fitted several with the desired results!
Some rewiring is required to eliminate the older regulator box and get rid of the molex connector found on the engine tin cooling capsule. For info that Molex connector even in the original models has a habit of burning up under max loads for extended periods.
Check yours to avoid burning up the alternator.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

I think I will start a new post on tire size and another one on changing out the stock motor for something else :twisted: [/quote]

Oh please not another! That subject has been beaten to death over the years!
:roll:
With respect
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

there is a Bosch 50A 24v integral alternator that will fit directly into the cowl/fan housing.
Dennis, do you have the output/RPM curve for the high output alternator? How does it compare to the original?
Thanks for the heads up on the molex connector and all the other insights all the "highly seasoned" Pinz owners share with us newbies. You save us untold money and frustration. This is a really great community! -Steve
'76 710K