distributor vents / moisture

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
edzz
United States of America

distributor vents / moisture

Post by edzz »

A few weeks ago while out driving in a heavy rain storm my motor started stuttering and cutting out when at low rpm (felt like a spark related issue, moisture in the distributer?) As I really had no reason to be out driving in the rain I went home and parked the Pinz. Haven’t had any problems since however I haven’t been driving in the rain since.

So today I decided to investigate.

Pulled the distributer vent line and inspected for clogging, vent line was clear. Pulled cap, dry as a bone (of course it’s not raining now).

While looking at the distributer with the civilian distributer cap and adapter kit removed I noticed a number of vents in the distributer body. These vents can be seen in the photos I have linked to in Jim L’s “Distributor Recon” page on his web site.
http://www.goatwerks.com/
http://www.goatwerks.com/distributorgallery.htm
ImageImage

On examination of the civilian distributor adapter plate I noticed that it covers these vent holes completely.

:idea: Being as I have a spare adapter plate I decides to alter one plate to uncover these vent holes and restore their functionality.

I can’t see the factory going to the expense of installing a vent let alone six vents for no reason.

Disclaimer – I have no factory / military distributor cap so I’m working on an assumption that these vents are not covered by the military style cap.

Will see if this made any difference, if we ever get more rain.

Any thoughts?

Jim, hope you don't mind me using your photos.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
spandit

Re: distributor vents / moisture

Post by spandit »

I'm surprised the cap was dry when you took it off after causing all that trouble before. Have you tried running the truck and spraying it with a gentle hose to see if it is another component (coil/HT lead) at fault?

Poor performance in the wet was one of the reasons I installed my solid-state ignition system (MegaJolt)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)