Headlight Main Beam warning light?????

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Dreadnought

Headlight Main Beam warning light?????

Post by Dreadnought »

I just noticed that my Main beam indicator is not working....It was before the cold snap....(people were flashing their lights at me today - they have not done that before, so it is a recent problem). So I had a look see, maybe a loose wire....now like I said it has always worked before and is a nice bright blue.....I looked and it only has one wire??? how does that work? I have known spade terminals to work loose before but they usually hang around somewhere visible, but I,m damned if I can find a loose wire. The Headlights themselves do move to dip and High but just the warning light has stopped working. The relay is a round 'Hella' closest to the bottom edge of the dash nearest the door....this relay also controls the indicators....(it clicks away merrily as they flash) So should there be another wire? should it go to earth?(there is a spare terminal on the relay?) I tried earthing the spare terminal on the bulb...nothing happened.....I did have to replace the original bulb as it fell apart when I took it out.....I replaced it with the bulb from further along the block of indicator lights that indicates that some kind of fan is on! (not needed on my hybrid) (yes I did test it for a circuit before I stuck it in) I still don,t see how it could have worked in the past with only one wire on it??? maybe you 'sparks' can enlighten me. Oh and the wires into the bulb are a double wire blue in colour and they 'spade into the top connector of the bulb holder. Just how the hell did it work before????? got me well and truly puzzled.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Re: Headlight Main Beam warning light?????

Post by GenevaPinz »

Are you sure the round "relay" is not the turn signals/emergency lights flasher?
On my Pinz, the relay is rectangular, just next to the flasher.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

And...you are correct!! I was in a bit of a panic there, it is just that they are so close that if you put a finger on the 'round one' and click the headlights up and down, you actually feel the click through the round one as well....it is a very definite click from the 'square' relay. OK so I cleaned every connection on the big 'square' relay, still nothing doing in the Main Beam warning light department. Lights still all work fine! Remember the bulb still has only one wire to it, it definitely used to work.....up until some weeks ago and was nice and bright (I used to think that it wasn,t very 'tactical') so should there be 1 wire to each of the bulb terminals? if so honestly I have looked for a spare wire hanging around...what colour should it be?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

According to my schematic there should be 2 wires connected - one brown (the ground wire) and one blue.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Thanks, it,s night here now, so I,ll look tomorrow and report back....I do hope there is a spare brown wire hanging somewhere that I just have not spotted??? or it will become a real mystery.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Well: here is the outcome: firstly thankyou for the help, It was actually the brown wire that was still connected...look high and look low, I could not find a spare blue wire? who knows maybe last time I had the dashboard open I found a hanging blue wire and did not notice that there was a bulb connection missing?? maybe I connected it to something else and it did no harm....I did try a few nearby blue wires to see if any of them became live when high beams were on!!! to no avail......so I did the only thing I could, tested the relay until I found a wire that carries 24V when high beams are on and I spliced into it, took that new wire direct to the spare terminal on the 'high beam warning light'....I now have a nice bright warning.......and it is green...not blue...why did I think it was blue?? senility? I hope it doesn,t get so bad that it stops me enjoying my Pinz.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

The main beams warning light is usually a purplish blue... green is more for the turn signals dashboard light...
Anyway, happy you fixed the bug.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

When I got the pinz the colors were mostly faded to almost white. All those little squares in there are separate pieces and I made mine what made sense to me.
I left the brake square white so it really shows up and I make no mistake about it. I got glass paint from a hobby store and recolored mine. Cost of paint
was far less than new block of indicator colors. Paid $1.50 for each of three colors to repaint the squares. Let them dry overnight and back in to the holder.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Mine is a 1971, but has been in Europe all its life, so maybe not exposed to bright sunlight (which fades out the colours). I,ll almost swear that it used to be a blue light!!!!!! but it is now green.....I am not confusing it with the indicator light which is next to it and is also in a good (green) condition. On almost all (even my Russian UAZ) european vehicles the main beam warning is blue!!!....maybe the bulb that was damaged when I took it out was a magic bulb that turned green to blue? well either way I now have a working warning light.