Hazard Switch Replacement Question

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
John L
United States of America

Hazard Switch Replacement Question

Post by John L »

Guys:

I have read the blog regarding the phantom flashing of the hazard switch. I just bought a replacement from SAV. I installed it and the light on the red knob comes on; but the hazard lights on the outside of the vehicle don't flash. The wiring harness seems proper as it plugs in (it's tight but works). Both of the loose wires (brown and orange I believe) are also reconnected to the new plug. Everything looks proper but no hazard lights on the exterior. What have I done wrong or could it be a bad switch?

I took the old one a part (opened the cover), cleaned it, and reinstalled it. It works fine I just get the phantom flashes inside the vehicle. It seems as though the orange wire is the source of the phantom flashing as when I uninstalled it first from the new switch the flashing started on the dash.) I'm rolling as it is; but wonder what's gone wrong with the new switch or my install. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,

John
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Hazard Switch Replacement Question

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

As has been posted many times.............phantom flashes are from electronic flashers only............not the hazard switch.
You will not get phantom flashing with a mechanical flasher :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Jim:

I'm a bit confused by your comment. I've read the blog entries dealing with with issue and every one of them says change out the hazard switch: the one with the red knob that lights up when you pull it. That is the switch I purchased and installed in place of the old. Are you referring to something else? I merely replaced the original equipment with a german made switch for the swiss vehicle. Unfortunately, the switch cut out the phantom flashing, but it doesn't work like it's supposed to. The lights on the exterior of the vehicle don't light up at all when it's in the on or off position.

JL
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I believe Jim is referring to the turn signal flasher, this item: http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV1430

As I recall it is connected thru the wiring harness to the hazard flasher switch (which you replaced) and can sometimes cause the phantom flashes you are referring to. I've found that a careful study of the wiring schematic sometimes helps understand what could be going on. Though it sometimes just adds to the confusion also. :)
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The signal flasher is what makes the blinking noise(and phantom flashes), It is usually round and next to the headlamp relay. The 12v EL-13 flashers are less prone to this, but it is just the dash indicator illuminating(the blue wire).
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

When my tranny failed last evening and I was sitting on the side of the road with the hazards on, we noticed that the rear turn/brake lights sometimes flashed and sometimes didn't. So today I removed the plate that holds the hazard switch, aux power socket, and turn signal flasher can. The plate has two 10mm bolts that go up into the underside of the windshield frame. I thought by unbolting the plate that I would have a better view of the wiring to the hazard switch.

Good thing I did it this way, as the wiring for the hazard switch was very easy to see, along with a brown ground wire that was not grounded! The female connector end of the ground wire was also loose on the spade terminal on the hazard switch, too.

But I like to take things apart to see how they work, so I had to open up the hazard switch to see how dirty or worn it was inside. The switch is pretty basic in that pulling or pushing the knob slides wipers across the contacts that are riveted into the insulating base; there are two metal ribs from the front part of the switch that apply pressure downward on the sliding portion. However, when the switch is pushed inward about half of the slider leaves the metal ribs and are only held down agains the contacts by similar ribs in the plastic cover. So I shimmed the cover with a piece of cardboard to put addtional pressure on the slider to see it it would help:

The cardboard is just long enough to fit under the lips of the plastic cover, and wide enough to just fit between the terminal and under the end lip of the cover. If you need to do the same for yours, the cover easily unsnaps if you use a thin blad to pry the plastic cover away from the metal front, do this between the two curved corners. In the photo this would be the side that is against the desk on the righthand side.

Back in the truck (with the brown ground wire properly grounded) everything worked as it should. I don't know if the added pressure of my shim made the difference or if it was the ground; but it had been working for the past 9 years for me (as best I know) without problems until lately, and I hadn't had to mess with anything around there so I don't think it was me that disconnected the ground... oh, and I also ran a strip of paper between the contacts on top of the relay inside. Sorry, I didn't take any photos of the inside while I had it apart.

Best of luck for anyone who is having similar problems.
Jim M.
712W and 710M