connections under desk

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
djw
United States of America

connections under desk

Post by djw »

I have an Austrian 710K and under the left side of the desk (looking front from the L passenger seat) is the pictured wiring. The large cable going off bottom right terminates loose about 3ft with red/brown lugs.

I can find no situation where they are 24v+/- if that is what they are supposed to be. Can anyone who's been down this path shed some light on what this circuitry/relays are for, how it is intended to work? Trying to figure out how to make use of it.

Thanks.
Attachments
3-28-2012 4-34-30 PM.jpg
3-28-2012 4-34-30 PM.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
djw
United States of America

Re: connections under desk

Post by djw »

Also this one under the right side of the desk.

Any light that can be shed would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
3-28-2012 5-06-45 PM.jpg
3-28-2012 5-06-45 PM.jpg (78.31 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
captxmas

Post by captxmas »

Niether connection apppears to be Pinz Original. The one on the passenger side looks to make use of the bolt holes (4 ea) originally used to mount the twin power plugs originally used for the radio equipment in a K model. Does power originate from the engine compartment? My do. twin black leads.

The set up on the driver side is beyond me. Sorry. Seem like a previous owner made modifications.

John
Capt Xmas
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

To me it all looks extra heavy duty and rather military. Not something to my mind looks like any civilian install. I believe I am the only real stateside owner.

I have not traced all the wires back to their sources. The ground strap on the right goes from the radio table to the metal divider.

And I have yet to figure out why the rear interior white and blue lights don't seem to work at all while the front does. Mysteries to solve as the pinz comes with more built in fun like this than any modern boring car.
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Forward of the right internal working desk light is a white pull switch. Pull it and the lamps should light if they are on (each has an on/off switch) and the three rear doors are closed. If any rear door is opened the white lights should go off and the blue lights should come on.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

the one on the right side is a noise suppressor like mounted by the coil on the engine
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

Your Pinzgauer has been an austrian Radio truck. Those electrical installations are all factory installations on the Trucks that were factory refurbished between 1995 and 1999. Your Pinzgauer is missing some parts though.

The place under the desk was meant for another battery box (the same as is mounted on the outside of the Truck)
The battery box contained two batteries for another 24V supply to run radio equipment separately from the vehicle's batteries.

The Solenoid should seperate the two circuits when the engine is off or when you start the engine. It should connect the two circuits when the engine is running to charge the Batteries for the radio equipment.

The wires going to the bottom right of your first picture should connect to the batteries for the radio equipment. The two rather thick wires going to the top of the picture one of them should be connected to the Radio equipment plug and the other should go to the vehicle's battery + directly. I guess that it the latter one was disconnected in the vehicle's battery box so that you do not have any live wires hanging around waiting to short out somewhere.

I hope I could help. If you need some more info on your Pinzgauer just let me know.

Richard
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

wrangler0511 wrote:Your Pinzgauer has been an austrian Radio truck. Those electrical installations are all factory installations on the Trucks that were factory refurbished between 1995 and 1999. Your Pinzgauer is missing some parts though.

The place under the desk was meant for another battery box (the same as is mounted on the outside of the Truck)
The battery box contained two batteries for another 24V supply to run radio equipment separately from the vehicle's batteries.

The Solenoid should seperate the two circuits when the engine is off or when you start the engine. It should connect the two circuits when the engine is running to charge the Batteries for the radio equipment.

The wires going to the bottom right of your first picture should connect to the batteries for the radio equipment. The two rather thick wires going to the top of the picture one of them should be connected to the Radio equipment plug and the other should go to the vehicle's battery + directly. I guess that it the latter one was disconnected in the vehicle's battery box so that you do not have any live wires hanging around waiting to short out somewhere.

I hope I could help. If you need some more info on your Pinzgauer just let me know.

Richard
Richard,

Thanks, this is very helpful in unraveling the intent of the original wiring.

Yes, I was aware that it was one of the '90s refurbished trucks with the number of other changes that were done at that time.

I do have the 2nd battery box under the left side of the desk - it was removed for the picture of the wires behind it, but reinstalled (without any batteries). It has a vent tube to the outside as well.

I will have to trace the wires now that I know what function they were designed for to determine whether the circuit is still functional. I am not sure that I would ever put another set of batteries in, but it would be good to label them rather than having mystery wires flopping around. Thinking about what use it could be put to.

...What I would really like is... a/c. :) I was on top putting a new gasket on the antenna mount and it is already hot enough to cook eggs on the roof.

Again, many thanks.
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

I wish I had another battery box, but $365 or so for one without S&H is out of the question. I will install my extra two batteries for the radios inside but in a custom-made box, and I would appreciate anyone giving me ideas for one. As far as the rooftop heat, it actually goes away magically if the vehicle is in motion, but I don't live in Texas. A roof rack as a second roof would help a lot in that sense.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

crcpinz wrote:As far as the rooftop heat, it actually goes away magically if the vehicle is in motion, but I don't live in Texas. A roof rack as a second roof would help a lot in that sense.
While probably guilty of thread creep in my own thread, one of the other 710K's I was looking at had an original military roof rack that I thought would have been a good add.

Are these available anywhere? Might be a good start toward mitigating some of the heat.
Attachments
rack.jpg
rack.jpg (44.74 KiB) Viewed 4209 times