Civilian Conversion...worth it?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
berger
Canada

Civilian Conversion...worth it?

Post by berger »

This may be a loaded question, but I was wondering if a civi conversion is worth it, or should I stick with the OEM setup? I do have the petronix installed already.

The reason I ask is, I noticed a couple of my plug wires, at the coil, have some very small cuts in the insulation. Nothing huge, but something I am going to keep an eye on. I understand the cost benefit to the conversion, and I won't be doing any deep water crossing, but does the conversion improve performance or at least maintain it? My truck runs pretty good, of course I don't have another Pinz close by to compare with... :mrgreen:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
crcpinz

Re: Civilian Conversion...worth it?

Post by crcpinz »

I've had my Pinz now for 15 months with the original everything. It works like a swiss watch, although I bought an extra set of used cables, plugs, dist. cap, and coil due to my distance from parts. Other than a broken cable (which I broke myself by dropping the doghouse on the distributor) I have had no problems whatsoever. I understand that the advantage to the conversion is basically to lower maintenence costs and promote happier faces from mechanics. Sometimes people on this forum have complained from noise in their radios or other electronic equipment due to the unshielded cables. Pertronics users please correct me.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I just figure I'll keep the original system as long as I can get the proper plugs, wires, etc.; I haven't had any trouble sourcing them yet so I see no reason to switch. Actually, I think the OEM system is probably better, it's just more expensive to replace the plugs and wires & distributer than the civ system and though the plugs are readily available, you aren't going to find them at places like Wally-World, etc.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Not having the manual in front of me (at work), how routinely does one swap out plugs, wires and cap? I thought I read 10K for plugs.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

I think when you do a total tune-up, it's a no brainer. The cost of a new distributor cap covers the cost of the whole civiliann conversion + spare rotor, cap, plugs.
'76 710K
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Original Ign system is expensive to maintain. The first time you have to pay $50 each for spark plugs will convince you.
If you think you will just use the Milspec Champion plugs from a couple sources, think again. They are 3 heat ranges too cold :shock:
NGK plugs work great and are $2-$3 ea and available just about anywhere :D
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

I am certainly no expert on the pinz, but the plugs and wires are very similar to those on light airplanes and seem to work ok there (maybe that's more to do with 2 plugs/cyl and magnetos). The aviation plugs (typically about $30/per and 2 per cyl) get cleaned and returned to service and serviceability limits are electrodes are not worn more that 50%. I have not seen anything about servicing/cleaning the pinz plugs, but I would not be surprised if this was similar.

I plan on keeping mine stock for the foreseeable future until something breaks I can't afford to replace/repair. Searching the board every now and then some original systems go up for sale if you are interested in de-converting.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thanks guys.

I wasn't aware how much the cap cost. When the time comes, I will probably make the switch.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol