# 12 breaker popped

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Stekay
United States of America

# 12 breaker popped

Post by Stekay »

Sometime during my off-road adventure, I noticed my 4 wheel drive and locker lights were out while engaged. # 12 breaker had popped. On the way home I also realized my directionals and high beam switch also didn't work. I checked the relay (4RD 001836-02) and it works perfectly, so I'm assuming I have a short somewhere. I'm wondering where are the suspect places to start looking from your experience?
'76 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: # 12 breaker popped

Post by 4x4Pinz »

assuming you are still running the original breakers (before I replaced all of my breakers with the marine type they would pop just sitting in the sun)
Have you reset the breaker?
Were you out playing in water? You can disconnect each of the switches on the central tube one at a time to see if a short has developed where the wire passes through the cover plates
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

No it won't reset with power on. You can reset it, but as soon as you apply power by turning on the ignition switch, it will pop. I'm thinking a wire chafed through or a connector issue maybe. I did make a pass through some water. I'll look for the connectors along the tube.
'76 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

If the wires are fine at the locker switches might take the headlights apart. They are not sealed and it is possible one of them has shorted. Have not really seen a lot of wiring issues except at the end of each wire run. Seems they took enough care to make sure the wiring harnesses along their lengths are protected and secured from vibration.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Will do and report back. Low beams do work. As I'm a fairly new owner, every issue is a learning experience and one I (so far) enjoy.
'76 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

From MY experience once the bugs are worked out, you just keep finding things to do with the truck. My poor 712 has undergone so many remodels and changes that it is getting difficult to remember what a base truck looks like. I was showing a guy some pictures the other day and he could not believe that they were of the same truck. As long as you are having fun with dealing with the little issues that come up, you are on the right track. Remember you could own a jeep and have to do major repairs after just about every outing in lieu of just finding some wire that has shorted after 40+ years.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Ok, so I took a lot of stuff apart and back together, and learned a bunch. I think I had an issue where my truck was modified where the back-up light switch panel is. I have a back-up light and a beacon and the 24V socket was disconnected. The brake light switch wiring was somehow involved as well. It seems all is working but I have some questions once I do a bit more searching.
'76 710K
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

#12 is socket power, brake and turn signals. It is not uncommon for the brake switch contact to short to ground. A good tell tale is melted connectors at the switch(on the master cylinder).
You are basically inspecting any wire or light modifications to the brake or turn signal circuits only unless the rev light is also tagged into the circuit(bad idea). See previous posts on running back up lamp circuits for more detailed info.
As a side note, if it has TD tail lamps make sure the lens weatherstrip has the split on the bottom or it will fill in the rain and short when wet(also it will corrode).
You are now armed with knowledge...................get lookin :twisted:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

As usual, you are dead on Jim. It took me awhile with mirror & flashlight to even find the brake switch. I have everything working again, but the REV light does not work. I'll continue to investigate along your guidance as time allows (15 yr old triplets!) and report back. As always many thanks -Steve
'76 710K