E-Ignition civi conversion oddity...

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
berger
Canada

E-Ignition civi conversion oddity...

Post by berger »

When I got home from work today I decided to tackle the civi ignition. I went slow and steady and did everything as per EI's written instructions, watched their videos and used some extra bits of info I got from Scott on the phone early today. Since I was told the truck had an electronic ignition when I bought it, and it does, I assumed it was wired as per EI's setup...but it isn't, and this is where I am stumped.

In the EI video, Scott removes the green wire from the shielded cable and replaces it with the black and red. The black going to the coil and the red going to a 24v power source. Mine still has the green wire going to the coil, and it looks as if the pickup wires are wired in the distributor.... :?: I am hoping this is just another way of installing an E-ignition?

So, can I crimp a spade connector to the green wire coming from the dist and connect that to the NEG terminal on the new coil?

Here is a pic of my distributor internals...

Other than the green wire, I do have a white wire coming from the supressor, which I will connect to the POS terminal of the new coil.

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Re: E-Ignition civi conversion oddity...

Post by berger »

I spoke with Scott at EI today and found out that while the Petronix install on my truck was done half-assed, I can still proceed with the Civi conversion. He also recommended I have a standby points setup, just in case, so I will definitely be ordering one.

Thanks again Scott!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Can the pinz live without the suppressor? What will happen without it?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

krick3tt wrote:Can the pinz live without the suppressor? What will happen without it?
I don't know?

I got everything installed and running, just have to figure out the timing now.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol