Need help figuring out additional circuitry - 12/24/120 volt

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
captxmas

Need help figuring out additional circuitry - 12/24/120 volt

Post by captxmas »

:lol: Thought I posted this but I don't see it. Please excuse me if it comes up as a second post.

I search and could not locate what I've been needing in old postings so.......

I am looking for help in locating a simple drawing explaining how to hook up some components.

I want to utilize the 25amp power lead supplying the radio plug box on the rear wall/passenger side of a 710K to:

1. provide power to a 20 amp 24-12 volt power converter
2. Provide 12 volt power to a 3000 watt/ 120 volt inverter ( which I never expect to use maximum load) for computer, small compressor and or coffee pot etc.
3. Charge 1 or 2 12 volt "house" batteries when the engine is operating
4. and charge batteries via solar panels when engine is off.

As I read this I understand how the drawing might not be so simple. I think I understand the requirements for the 12/24/129 output side but how does one integrate the charging side of the equation.

captxmas

Thanks in advancde for all your knowledge and I enjoy learning from you posts on a routine basis.
Capt Xmas
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Need help figuring out additional circuitry - 12/24/120

Post by audiocontr »

What 12v items are you running?

You need a 24v to 12v inverter for whatever 12v stuff you need to run
You need a 24v to 120vac inverter, (not a 12 to 120) to run any 120v stuff you want to run
You need a 24v to 12v intelligent charging system for the batteries. You can't use an inverter for this. Why not leave it at 24v?
You need a 24v solar panel system

Then it's either a relay system or intelligent switcher. May want to incorporate an isolator.

Tell us what you want to run and we may have a better design for you.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
captxmas

Post by captxmas »

My description outlines some of the equipment I already have ready for use and recieved as gifts from friends. If I can utilize this equipment I figure I'll save 3-400 dollars.

I currently have:

12 to 24 volt power converter - 25 amp
3000 watt 12/120 volt invertor
2 fairly new 12 volt batteries for "house current"
3 solar panels w/ 12 volt supply unit, portable lights (Harbor Freight)

Current plans for 12 volt use - radio/cd player
CB radio or HAM radio
David Clark headset unit (will work with either 12 or 24 volts but want to connect to radio as headphones for music while driving off road)
Already in possession of communication set-up set up.

Thanks Audio- control I have been impressed with many of your posts......another Pinz brainiac.
Capt Xmas
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

You'll spend more than you're trying to save in the long run. The current setup wont function like you would like and you'll eventually spend the money to do it right a second time. Been there, done that. :mrgreen:

The solar panels wont do much beyond keep a small trickle charge. They'll keep you from losing power over time, but wont really supply a whole lot. I'd remove them from your first plan to keep things simpler (needs a controller). So now what you're after is a way to charge a large 12v storage bank for all sorts of 12v stuff you want to run.

You'll need a dedicated 12v source (alternator) to go your current route or a 24-12v charging circuit $$$$. Take a look at the 12v alternator threads for more info.

You can come back to the solar panel idea later, after you've decided on the best route to get your storage capacity. Personally, I'd look into a 24v smart battery isolator to power 4 12v batteries, or 2 24v circuits (one for the truck, one for the gear). I'd use a 24v to 120v device plus a 24 to 12 to power your list.

I've looked into a way to charge an additional 12v battery in the past and found the most efficient means via a dual pulley, additional alternator install. Figure $400 for the pulley, $100 for the alternator and $100 for the cabling. Then you will need to fabricate a mount (or pay someone else to do it). You're at over $600 before we even talk about the 12v components.

Or get an isolator like this one: http://redarc.com.au/products-and-servi ... -start-sbi and run two banks of batteries. You'll need a 24v-120v device (figure $300). You're at right around the same money, but a lot easier to install.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have been using the Harbor freight 3 panel set and controller for my pinz. I have two optima batteries that they keep charged up. It runs an Engel fridge/freezer, 12-120v 800w inverter to power the 15" monitor, dvd player, several 12v led exterior lights, my custom built swamp cooler, the pump for the solar water heater and the solar controller has a usb connection so I can recharge my Ipod. We just completed a 4 day lake trip in the desert. The batteries were down a bit but still functioning. I am certain that with the addition of the 4th panel I will be good to go.

I don't know how much your larger inverter would draw. I have been a little mindful of what type of appliances I use to help keep power consumption down but so far so good. Guess living in the valley of the sun has its advantages some times.
captxmas

Post by captxmas »

Audio Cntrl - Thanks for the rapid reply. You're right on and II may be changing to a system of your suggestion in the winter but for right now, its summer play season and I'm a cheap bast*^%# who wants to get something up and running to enjoy the summer with the part I already have.

4X4Pinz- Do you have a basic drawing on how you hooked your system up? Would you share? What else do I need to insure charging on one side while discharging on the other without frying anything in the process? relays? switches?

Yep, I'm the quintessential Boatswains Mate. Jack of all trades and master of none. I know how to use the tools but not the enough to prevent breaking something in the process.

Thanks
Capt Xmas
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Sunshine is cheap. Dedicate a system for 12V,have good batteries,run your "house" items off that.There are so many options...
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

My 12v solar system is not connected to the trucks power at all. You can have the solar charging and running items at the same time without any issues. The solar controller insures that. My inverter is just wired directly to the batteries with an inline fuse that came with the inverter. The batteries are hooked to a fuse block that I draw all the power that is used through so I can isolate any troubles. The led lights are run with a remote control key pad (just a little touch for fun) and the remote control receiver is wired into one of the fuses. All in all a very basic way of doing things.
I do have a 24/12 converter for the in cab items (radio, cb, cab interior lighting, intercom...) I don't need any of the cab items when I am in the back of my truck. I set the rear up to be a stand alone item so no matter what I did with the comfy area the truck would always start. I chose not to use any 24v items in the rear as the 12 are just so much easier to get and a lot more options.
I am still adding things to the mix but here is a picture of the mess Image . I have to clean it up once I finish with some more installed items. The white box next to the two relays (not used yet) is the receiver for the remote controlled lighting. I have spade connectors on an old electrical cord (yellow cord) I use to try things out with when experimenting with new ideas.
Once you get a self sustaining electrical system on the truck there are unlimited options. The biggest issue is watching your power out verses power generated. today we had sunshine from 5a till 8P, lots of free power and the truck does not have to do anything but sit there.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I do stand corrected on the solar panels. :D I did not know they create that much power! I'm in the Mid Atlantic and dont have as much sun as you do in the southwest. Wonder what i could gain from them...

Learned something new!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

I'd get a battery equalizer instead of the converter off of ebay, then get a 12 volt coffee pot & compressor. The laptop will work with your auto adapter. A simple 12V terminal buss off the equalizer will do everything you're looking for as well as provide for some tunes to drink coffee by. An isolator would be cheap insurance if you think you need it..
Anyway, that's what I did.
'76 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Stekay, you would be missing the big advantage to having a stand alone power supply. The big advantage to a solar setup is that no matter what or how much power you use, you will still be able to start the truck. Recently did four days at the lake shore with the fridge set just above freezing, watched some movies, kept the area around the truck lit, and kept the swamp cooler going to keep comfortable without ever once starting the pinz. this activity would have drained all the battery power in the pinz system if the truck was not started periodically. Yes the benefits are recognized more by those of us who use our pinzies for more than a day at a time but still there are times when you just want to run whatever, whenever and for as long as you like without concern about the pinz electrical system.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Beach 2.jpg
Beach 2.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 5572 times
WOW, yes I did miss that. Very impressive. Looks like I'm going shopping since I use my truck for camping at the beach much of the time. Thanks for the re-direction -S
'76 710K