Truck died...

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
berger
Canada

Truck died...

Post by berger »

Well, I type this on the side of the road while I wait for CAA, who I had to argue with on the phone for 10 minutes....then another argument with a Supervisor before they agreed to pick me up. Anyway, the truck just died with a lot of backfires. She just won't start. Took a look at the obvious...and things I have changed, like the fuel filter, but it is getting fuel. I really think my civi ignition install is the issue, as that is the only major thing I have done. It was running great though. Could it be the coil? When I get home I am going to convert back and see if that does the trick.

First time in 24 years a vehicle has left me stranded....not used to it!! :mrgreen:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Re: Truck died...

Post by berger »

Did some searching....I am going to check a few things when I get back home.

1) Voltage at coil....this was fine and within all specs when installed....24v at start, between 16-21 when running.
2) Check wiring at surpressor.
3) Fuel lines....I reinstalled the clear filter while on the road, and fuel is there, but I went to a large hose from the steel filter to the pump....Bad idea?
2) Read JimL's post on the dizzy jumping. I am wondering if this could be it....my timing was out the other day after it was fine.
3) 4500 RPM module bypass....

That is all I can think of....
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Thomas-E

Post by Thomas-E »

Hi,

You might want to check to be sure that the distributor is properly seated and the retainer is secure. If the distributor climbs up just a little bit it will not work. It must be fully seated to be driven. :shock:

Your symptoms sure seem like a timing drive issue.

Best of Luck
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thomas-E wrote:Hi,

You might want to check to be sure that the distributor is properly seated and the retainer is secure. If the distributor climbs up just a little bit it will not work. It must be fully seated to be driven. :shock:

Your symptoms sure seem like a timing drive issue.

Best of Luck
Thanks!

Ya, I was thinking that....I do know the retainer is secure, because I checked that on the road, but maybe it climbed before....
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

If you have the right voltage on the coil + terminal then that mostly rules out the 4500 rpm module.

You might have dizzy problems in that the advance weights have gotten stuck or the spring(s) have broke or fallen off -- my 710 starts, and runs, but it takes a few seconds and some addtional rpms to get the weights "moving" and then there is a sudden improvement in the way the engine runs. I need to tear down the dizzy and check what's going on down there...
Jim M.
712W and 710M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

A bad condensor will cause your truck to quit like this. I had a new condensor last about 20 miles on my Haflinger.
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Berger, your truck is sure giving you a workout and a sharp learning curve. Thank god for this forum or many of us would be in trouble. Lucky for you that you were able to convince the dispatcher for a tow. I had to have my 712 towed home once and the AAA driver refused to tow it as it was a "military vehicle". He said that he could tow a civilian Hummer (heavier and wider), or a Chevy Tahoe, but not a Pinze. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

pinzinator wrote:A bad condensor will cause your truck to quit like this. I had a new condensor last about 20 miles on my Haflinger.
If I run the Petronix, I shouldn't have a condenser installed, no?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

michaelh712 wrote:Berger, your truck is sure giving you a workout and a sharp learning curve. Thank god for this forum or many of us would be in trouble. Lucky for you that you were able to convince the dispatcher for a tow. I had to have my 712 towed home once and the AAA driver refused to tow it as it was a "military vehicle". He said that he could tow a civilian Hummer (heavier and wider), or a Chevy Tahoe, but not a Pinze. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Thanks! It is a labour of love! :mrgreen: This is why I love forums like this....what did people like me do without them! That sad thing is I could call "local" for help, but that ship has sailed and my business goes elsewhere.

Ya, the call centre was actually pulling up a 6x6 on Google. I really had to argue and convince them it was a 710, weighed 4300lbs, was smaller than my Silverado, and actually fit in my garage. The Supervisor made comments like (actual quotes) "it is too high!"....or, "the wheels are too big!"..."it isn't made in North America" and my favorite, "we don't cover recreational vehicles....it isn't a daily driver."

I explained to her that my Russian motorcycle, which is why I actually got the CAA/AAA membership, is NOT a daily driver, not made in NA and is a recreational vehicle, yet they covered that! The sub-contracted flat-tow truck driver pulled up and says, "I remember these!" He was a Search and Rescue Operator in Germany and Europe for the Canadian Military. I asked if he had an issue and he shook his head and laughed.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Pertronix has no condensor, correct.
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

It sounds like condesation in the distributor cap. I had that happen a couple of times and a spray with electrical contact cleaner and drying it out good and some cleaning of the contact points on the distibutor and rotor always seemed to get me back on the road. Other option is red death check for a clogged or even a little red paint in the filter as it comes off in sheets and even though the filter isn't completely clogged the pickup in the tank could be.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Well, I didn't get much time to look into the problem last night, but I can tell you it isn't heat related. It wouldn't start this morning at all. I am going to have to dive into tonight, as I have two Canada Day parades scheduled this coming Sunday (military vehicle contingent), and I hope to pull a small field gun with the truck!!

I did check the dizzy for condensation while I was waiting for a tow, and it was dry. I have had that once before with the military cap. One of the things I changed on the truck prior to being sidelined, was swap the fuel filter. While on the road, I swapped back to the clear one, and no signs of red paint.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

I believe I found it....truck is purring away right now. It was the timing and dizzy. I took off the cap, and turned the engine over (27mm socket) until the pointer and the notch in the flywheel lined up, I was certain that the rotor should be pointing at #1 cylinder....it was not. I also found that it didn't snap back like it should and turned! So, I lifted the dizzy up and then seated it so that the rotor was pointing where it should be. I put the cap back on, walked around to the drivers side, held my breath...and pushed the button...YES!!!! Scared my neighbours because I actually yelled! This was great after watching Germany lose to the Italians.... :(

I guess the dizzy "jumped," or my manhandling put it out of whack. Now to set the timing.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol