EFI fuel pump

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
spandit

EFI fuel pump

Post by spandit »

Was going to use a 12V pump run from a battery balancer (and still might) but have found that the Bosch 9580234005 (as used on the Alvis Hägglund BV206) should do the job. They're not cheap (about twice the price of a 12V pump) but if it means I can save on the balancer, then it might be worth it

http://www.ekmpowershop5.com/ekmps/shop ... 1496-p.asp
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: EFI fuel pump

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

What are you trying to do? EFI pumps will not work on carbs. The Zenith carb max fuel pressure is 3.5psi, any higher and it will blow past the float valve. If you are trying to replace the manual fuel pump for some reason, use pump from an ambulance box. They are fairly compact and put out the proper low pressure and volume.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
spandit

Post by spandit »

I'm fitting EFI, Jim (MicroSquirt). Have taken a lot of inspiration from your site

Seeing as how I'll be using a regulator anyway, I could install this pump and turn the pressure right down to use with carbs before the injectors etc. are fitted
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Good luck with that. Megasquirt has been done before so I suspect Microsquirt should also work. Are you making a manifold or converting to some type of dual throttle bodies? As far as electrical, it is best to use a 15-27A 24/12v converter and a 24v relay(70amp) to turn it on with the original coil power wire. Battery equalizers are a joke for power taps and they draw power at all times.
:idea: You should start a new thread in engine section titled Microsquirt EFI conversion with a project goal outline.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks, Jim. Interested to read your opinion on battery balancers - I'll invest my money in a heavier duty dropper then!

Think I've decided to go with a 12V pump - that 24V one, despite being suitable, is the only one I've found (he's got one in stock) and if it fails a replacement could be a long time coming. 12V pumps are easy to come by.

I'm planning on using the stock air filter & intake but somehow wedging a single throttle body in between the two. I am going to replace the carbs with units I've yet to manufacture. If you imagine injectors where the idle solenoids are and the rest of the innards (float, jets etc.) scooped out to leave a nice smooth bowl then that's what they'll look like
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition