24v to 12v converter. Is it really necessary?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
mm58
United States of America

24v to 12v converter. Is it really necessary?

Post by mm58 »

I'm looking at at '76 Pinz that apparently has a bad converter. My question is this:

What can't a 12v accessory buss be set up by simply tapping off ONE of the two 12v batteries?

Thanks for any info on this,

Mike
Mike

'76 710K
berger
Canada

Re: 24v to 12v converter. Is it really necessary?

Post by berger »

mm58 wrote:I'm looking at at '76 Pinz that apparently has a bad converter. My question is this:

What can't a 12v accessory buss be set up by simply tapping off ONE of the two 12v batteries?

Thanks for any info on this,

Mike

Hi Mike.

I haven't gone this route with my Pinz, but I played with 24v/12v on my Iltis. I am sure more experienced guys will jump in, but in my research on the matter then, the main reason for not tapping only one of the batteries for 12v is you will shorten the life of the one battery. The batteries are supposed to be in series, so when one is being tapped, the other has to work harder to compensate shortening its life. It is worth getting a converter/balancer to ensure this does not happen.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

That's a very good explanation, thanks!
Mike

'76 710K
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

This topic has been covered a thousand times, do a search on the topic, but shortening the batteries life is the main problem... On a 710/12 Pinz, you do not run any leads back to the negative side of the battery. again, it has been covered many times
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)