Bypassing door switches for interior blackout lights

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
mm58
United States of America

Bypassing door switches for interior blackout lights

Post by mm58 »

I'd like to engineer a way to bypass the door switch feature of the rear interior lights.

I'd like to have it so there is a switched way to have three options

1: Rear interior lights off
2. Have the military feature of the interior white lights automatically switch to the blue blackout lights when a door is opened.
3: Be able to have the white lights function even if a door is open.

I figured someone has already figured this out and done this already, so It'd be great to hear from you and hear how you did it.
Specifically, which wires did you reconfigure and how? If I take the time and figure out all the wiring pinout, I can do this.
Just trying to sidestep the headache of trying to figure it all out.
Thanks for any help...

Mike
Last edited by mm58 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

'76 710K
undysworld
Norway

Re: Bypassing door switches for interior blackout lights (71

Post by undysworld »

I'd think that if you used a spdt switch (like a residential 3-way switch) before the white light, you could select the 24v input to the lamp from either the existing pinz circuit (which would allow the light to work like normal) or from a direct 24v source (which would allow the white light to remain on). This direct 24v source could also be switched with a on/off sw. to control the white light independently of the door switch.

Hopefully this makes sense as I wrote it...
mm58
United States of America

Re: Bypassing door switches for interior blackout lights (71

Post by mm58 »

Figured it out...

There is a short wire, ~ 4" long, that jumpers two of the terminals on the relay. If you break that circuit, the white lights can be
switched on even if the doors are open. I installed a small SPST switch in the same mount as the relay but just above the stock switch.

Now, when my switch is up, door switches are overridden and white lights come on even if doors are open.
If switch is down, everything is back to military, and blackout lights come on when a door is opened.
Pretty easy mod.

Mike
Mike

'76 710K
Stekay
United States of America

Re: Bypassing door switches for interior blackout lights

Post by Stekay »

'76 710K
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

Ya, I saw that, but for right now I'm satisfied with the way I did it. At some point I will probably expand on what I have,
and make the further option so the white lights automatically come on when a door is opened (like a regular car)
Mike

'76 710K
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That would be later Austrian K config. They have door jam switches. Schematic in repair manual.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."