Charging light, intermittent flashing

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
westernair
United States of America

Charging light, intermittent flashing

Post by westernair »

Well, a great weekend in the north Cascades in the pinz, lots of deep mud with all the rain we have been having up here. I did have a few problems during the trip, distributor loosened up again and caused me 15 min of down time on the freeway, then 50 miles later I had a flat tire. :cry:
Today I drove the truck to work as I plan on stopping by the tire shop, but am now seeing my charging light on the dash flicker. I assume that since it is flickering and not on solid, it is probably a bad connection somewhere. Can anyone point me in the direction of where the most likely culprit wire is? I plan on working on it tonight.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Charging light, intermittent flashing

Post by pcolette »

First thing I'd try is cleaning the Molex connector next to the distributor. You might also remove the first section of engine tin and take a look at the wiring harness to the alternator. They do get old and corroded over time. http://www.expedition-imports.com/produ ... ector.html or http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 121090090/

It's also possible the regulator is failing though I seem to recall someone mentioned they either work or fail completely. :?:
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

And if you were into as much mud as you made it sound, there might be enough crud in the alternator to occasionally break the connections between the slip rings and the brushes which will cause the alternator to not charge until the connection gets restored. At least try flushing the alternator, or better still (but lots more work) remove it and properly clean it if it looks like mud got up in there.

And if you got mud up there, be sure to clean it out of the cylinder and head cooling fins or you could burn up a piston and cylinder.

Both of these depend on removing at least the front engine tin to see how much (if any) mud got in there.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

also check the alt. belr tension.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

That was my 1st guess. Check belt tension even if it's not squealing. Next I would blow some compressed air through and around the alt. just to make sure you don't have any funk stuck in-between the brushes causing issues w/ the contact surface.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

my bet is on frayed/broken wire at back of alt or molex connector, or worn brushes. All easily checked with the front engine tin off.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

mine does the same
my batteries seem to fine/charged/charging

SYMPTOMS:
various times
various speeds

CURRENT REPAIRS:
Jim replaced my brushes -
I cleaned the Molex plug on the outside of the tin-

NEXT THOUGHT PROCESS
my next task it to remove the forward tin and check/clean the other connections on the back of the alt.

ANY OTHER IDEAS?
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Well I fixed mine

Loose grounding strap. So I replaced with a new one.

I also bypassed the AMP/molex connector for the Red wire.

It's all good now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SolarImages

Post by SolarImages »

I have the same issue but after cleaning connector checking all wires I found that mine over charging with the voltage regulator was the culprit installed a new one and all good for 3 months now
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy
#$%^...what a ride!