Battery Cut-off Switch

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
PhilH

Battery Cut-off Switch

Post by PhilH »

Does the battery cut-off switch eventually go bad. Mine is ocassionally temperamental, but now I have no juice. Can you clean these; spray something on them; or do you just end up replacing them. They seem so simple. My batteries are in new condition.
'74 710m
M101A2 Trailer
'69 Firebird Convertible
krick3tt

Re: Battery Cut-off Switch

Post by krick3tt »

Take it out and clean the contacts. I used carb cleaner. R & R. It is under the vehicle and exposed to everything.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
PhilH

Post by PhilH »

Well Krick, I tried cleaning the terminals, but with no luck. Then I tried getting inside the switch, but found that was nearly impossible as well. I found an identical replacement at Napa for $10 and that did the trick. Works great. Thanks for the advice though. Always enjoy reading your comments and looking at your "enginuity" on your pinz.
'74 710m
M101A2 Trailer
'69 Firebird Convertible
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks. What was the number of the Napa part?
Others may want to know that as well. I will check it out when I get that number.

If you have a pic of the part that might also be helpful.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I think this is the one PhilH is referring to: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0293960637
I saw it recently at my local NAPA store for $8.55. Not a bad price and it's nice to know it works okay.
Rated for 24V and 300 amps. I've got relatively new Hellas in my 2 so haven't tried it.
switch.jpg
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
PhilH

Post by PhilH »

Hey Thanks, that is exactly what I put in. The previous owner had already installed a similar configuration, and just by chance on a Sunday I tried Napa. I thought I was going to have to order the Hellas, but as always, Napa comes through. It was nearly impossible to get inside this thing.
'74 710m
M101A2 Trailer
'69 Firebird Convertible