Why no power on "BMW" style plug I found @ tunnel

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
swashplate

Why no power on "BMW" style plug I found @ tunnel

Post by swashplate »

I found a BMW style plug on the top left side of the tunnel.
It has wires connected to it but no power.

My Garmin GPSMAP 478 can use 24VDC and this is a perfect place to plug this or my milspec map light into.

Any idea why no power to it or how to hook power to this IAW the factory spec?

thanks
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Why no power on "BMW" style plug I found @ tunnel

Post by 4x4Pinz »

pull the white switch on the left side under the dash next to the flasher. You may have to activate the switch a couple times to get it to let power go through. You will know as the light on your dash should come on. That plug is commonly used for the black out light to plug into.
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

4x4Pinz wrote:pull the white switch on the left side under the dash next to the flasher. You may have to activate the switch a couple times to get it to let power go through. You will know as the light on your dash should come on. That plug is commonly used for the black out light to plug into.

I've done that as that is where my stuff is plugged into now. {left side of dash}
hmmmm what to try next?

im not sure if im looking at the right place on the wiring diagram but it looks like it might be #10. but i do not see the switch for plug on the left side, or even the indicator light that comes on the panel.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The plug on the drivers side of the tunnel is for plugging in the front grill blackout light. IIRC, it only powers on when the headlight switch is set to use the alternate positions on the switch. You would need to run new wires to the plug from a different power source for your use with the GPS.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

pcolette wrote:The plug on the drivers side of the tunnel is for plugging in the front grill blackout light. IIRC, it only powers on when the headlight switch is set to use the alternate positions on the switch. You would need to run new wires to the plug from a different power source for your use with the GPS.

ahh, thanks.

now to finish troubleshooting the flikering alternator light, I have had the brushes replaced, cleaned the molex plug on the outside tin. the light flikers at various times and various speeds. I'm suspecting a bad connection elsewhere.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Flickering alternator light could also be a loose fan belt that is slipping.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

pcolette wrote:Flickering alternator light could also be a loose fan belt that is slipping.
Thanks, I'll check that too since the doghouse will be opened anyway. :D
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

pcolette wrote:The plug on the drivers side of the tunnel is for plugging in the front grill blackout light. IIRC, it only powers on when the headlight switch is set to use the alternate positions on the switch. You would need to run new wires to the plug from a different power source for your use with the GPS.
I was wondering why it had no power too. Thanks!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

I just checked mine, and I get power to the socket when headlight switch is set to S2 or S3.
Mike

'76 710K
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

According to the schematic (if I'm reading it correctly :? ), by disconnecting the wire (black/red stripe) from terminal S56 on the headlight switch and moving it to terminal 58 on that switch, the socket should be live any time the headlight switch is in the 1st or 2nd position. The socket will still have its own circuit breaker, #7.
switch.jpg
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
swashplate

Post by swashplate »

Hmmm. I'll have try that one. Good catch !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

swashplate wrote:Hmmm. I'll have try that one. Good catch !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto!

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol