Turn signal and four way flasher interaction?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Buzz
United States of America

Turn signal and four way flasher interaction?

Post by Buzz »

I have been fooling with the left front turn signal for a couple weeks. I moved the ground wire for the turn signal a couple weeks ago when I first noticed I had no flash in front - although all the other signals worked. That worked for few days then quit.

I found an old post of mine from 2007 when I had been having a similar problem. Jim L suggested then that I try cycling the emergency flasher a few times. Tonight, was able to get all four corners to flash through the emergency flasher and also get the front left turn signal to work immediately afterward. But after a few seconds, no more left front turn signal. So, this makes me think it s the emergency flasher. Any way to clean this thing? A new one from SAV seems silly spendy.

Or is it the electronic turn signal flasher?
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Stekay
United States of America

Re: Turn signal and four way flasher interaction?

Post by Stekay »

Most have found a good cleaning with WD-40 to often restore relays. Yes it's an "electrical" not "electronic" flasher.
'76 710K
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

See http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... =14&t=7086. Mine was doing the same thing; a good cleaning and a little more pressure solved my issues.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Well cleaning did the trick but someplace more simple. After some more fiddling around I found the turn signal worked or not depending on how firmly I operated switch lever on the steering column. So I sprayed out the switch with some electric parts cleaner. Now it works consistently.
Now back to bigger projects! Thanks for the suggestions.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE