Easiest way to work on dash wiring??

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
compunerdy
United States of America

Easiest way to work on dash wiring??

Post by compunerdy »

Is there a easy way to get to the gauge wires, etc or does everyone just do a contortionist act to get to them?
Tim
1975 710K
michaelh712

Re: Easiest way to work on dash wiring??

Post by michaelh712 »

"easy way" = oxymoron. I remove the steering wheel and tilt the dash plate. Still a pain with big hands.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I always remove the kneepad and then just work up from underneath for the simple projects.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

I removed the kneepad which definitely helped. I also tried to lift the panel up but hit the steering wheel so I might try removing that next.

Can anyone explain how the funky fasters around the outside are supposed to work? Mine just pulled straight out.
Tim
1975 710K
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

compunerdy wrote:I removed the kneepad which definitely helped. I also tried to lift the panel up but hit the steering wheel so I might try removing that next.

Can anyone explain how the funky fasters around the outside are supposed to work? Mine just pulled straight out.
They are supposed to lock in place when you tighten the screw. My locker panel does the same, lift right out.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

compunerdy wrote:Can anyone explain how the funky fasters around the outside are supposed to work? Mine just pulled straight out.
Mine just pulled out also. I took them completely off and inserted well nuts in the dash shroud and just use phillips screws to hold the dash panel in place.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

If you're curious, those little thingies are Vibrex fasteners. They're pretty neat if the rubber parts are not all dried out and they still work. 1/2 turn clockwise and they click locked, the other way unlocked. A strong hold and quick release if they work as designed.

SAV actually has them 7111710110 and I have no idea where they source them since they appear to be pretty obscure. You can always go the well-nut route, but it is nice to know the new OEM parts can be had.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8OdSAA ... ner&f=true

+1 on removing the steering wheel if you can't see what you need from underneath.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help