Wiper motor upgraded to 2 speed with delay and push to wash

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
compunerdy
United States of America

Wiper motor upgraded to 2 speed with delay and push to wash

Post by compunerdy »

While I was redesigning my dash I decided to see what I could do about the wiper motor as I read some people do not like the single speed factory one.

I decided on this motor which has dynamic park and is 24v for $106.25

http://store.amequipment.com/230-series ... g-p-6.html

I got the matching harness for it which turned out to be the perfect length for $8.94

http://store.amequipment.com/wire-harne ... p-343.html

To control the motor they sell this switch which can be found other places cheaper.. They sell it for $93.15 but it is just a Cole Hersee part#75602-04 which I found on Ebay for $50.

http://store.amequipment.com/delay-swit ... p-115.html

The switch case is 2 7/32" (56.4mm) square so you will need to make sure you can fit that in your dash. I think it would interfere with the headlight switch on a stock dash. You could always put it somewhere else or on a plate on the side of the dash, etc..

As far as the wiring goes the motor and switch are color matched. So you just hook everything up and tie into the original switch positive and negative.. You also have a extra wire on the switch to control a electric washer pump which I also found on ebay via a link someone provided in another thread on here. When you push the switch it wipes 3 times and sprays the window.

As far as mounting goes you need to enlarge the center hole and add 3 holes to the bracket. The two side holes just get cut half way into the bracket which I just used a cut off wheel for. You also need to drill out the wiper arm since this motor has a larger shaft. You need 3x 6mx16 bolts to mount the motor which are not included. The arm does not sit as far forward as is it did on the stock motor by about .5" or maybe less. You could modify the arm or just leave it as is. I think it pulls the arms a little up from where they would normally park but I cannot recall now and do not want to hook up the old motor just to test that.. When you drill out the arm make sure you do not open it up too far or the arm will sit too close to the motor and possibly hit the mounting bolt heads.

Last edited by compunerdy on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim
1975 710K
compunerdy
United States of America

Re: Wiper motor upgraded to 2 speed with delay and push to w

Post by compunerdy »

I decided to mill a new aluminum bracket to bring the motor in further to the correct location. This will put it back into stock location and also make it a little more compact.

If anyone wants a new bracket so they would not need to modify the stock one and can just bolt the motor on in the correct location let me know as I may as well do a few. I can also offer powder coating for them.
Tim
1975 710K
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Nice job!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Got the new bracket done.. Still need to powder coat it and paint the motor. Might even engrave PINZ or something on the side you see through the windshield.

Tim
1975 710K
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Any chance you are still willing to make a bracket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

....or 2?
kjbtsi6686

Post by kjbtsi6686 »

Or maybe 3....
1974 710M
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

I'm running an AM motor as well. It's a two speed, but I have it wired to work with the factory switch on high only. It's not that fast.

The motor itself is a nice unit. I have it clocked a few degrees so that I can still easily see my heater controller. The clocking looks a bit oddball, but I am able to use all 3 mounting points and can see much easier. Just food for though on those waiting on a bracket.
1977 Austrian 710M
OOCustoms
United States of America

Re: Wiper motor upgraded to 2 speed with delay and push to wash

Post by OOCustoms »

Hi- just wanted the AM motor part #s... links to their webpage are dead. Thanks!