circuit breaker replacement

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
pinzgauer4x4

circuit breaker replacement

Post by pinzgauer4x4 »

I need to replace one circuit breaker that has failed (cannot re-set) and curious from those that have already done so or anyone that has had the dash taken apart, what is the process. Will I need to remove the entire dash panel or might I be able to remove the (6) screws surrounding the circuit breakers and get to everything from below. It is my weekend project and curious how "big" of a job this needs to be. Thanks,

Doug
Stekay
United States of America

Re: circuit breaker replacement

Post by Stekay »

Difficulty rating: Easy. Turn off battery main switch. Remove the 6 screws holding the dash panel in. They're only 1/2 turn fasteners. Carefully pull the dash forward. The steering wheel will stop you and some people remove it but for breaker replacement it's not necessary. Remove the six small screws holding the breaker panel & number labels. Beware there's a frame holding all the breakers from the back. You're in. Assuming it's breaker #12, connector access should be easy as well.
'76 710K
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

From my experience, the terminals on the wire ends that go to the breakers are brittle; I had one break as I was working on breakers, and I had one wire floating free and it was a devil of a time to try to see which breaker had the other half of the terminal so I would know where to put it back!

Be very gentle on the wires and terminals or you might ending up fixing much more than you intended to.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I spent the time and changed all my breakers to the marine style. Takes a little longer but you don't have to keep going in and changing breakers. Living in the south west the heat would set them off every day especially in the summer. Now there is no problem with the breakers, oh and the cost of all 12 was less then the cost of just one. At the time I did this there were Unimog breakers floating around being sold as Pinzgauer breakers (they are different sizes).
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

How does the conversion look?
My Haflinger has half the breakers failing.. and going to the marine alternative looks promising.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

My truck has a little trail dust on it but you can see what the breakers look like. I have had them in for better then 8 years and have had no related issues.
If I remember correctly I got these from Sea Choice at $5 a piece.
Attachments
0907131757 (Small).jpg
0907131757 (Small).jpg (58.82 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

When I restored my '64 Haflinger 3 years ago I gutted everything behind the dash and made my own harness from scratch, and did the same in the engine compartment. I installed GM fuse blocks and fuses to take place of the old style mess, which was WAY too pricey to replace. Everything works fine.

The odometer reads 234 miles, which is correct since I put it all back together. The dash was laser cut from aluminum stock and powder coated with RAL 6014. My 710M is next for a new dash.
pinzgauer4x4

Post by pinzgauer4x4 »

I got the dash apart over the weekend but still need more access to breakers. Next step is the steering wheel. Do you need a puller to remove the steering wheel, or is it just the nut holding it on?

Thanks,
Doug
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Here you go : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2593&hilit=steering+wheel
Be sure to read the 2nd post :)
Last edited by TechMOGogy on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

pinzgauer4x4 wrote:I got the dash apart over the weekend but still need more access to breakers. Next step is the steering wheel. Do you need a puller to remove the steering wheel, or is it just the nut holding it on?

Thanks,
Doug
I've had a couple of wheels come off hard and a couple of them easy but haven't needed a wheel puller on any of them so you should do fine. Here's a step-by-step that's worked for me by trial and a few errors:

-First, turn the steering wheel so that the wheels are pointing straight ahead. Now, using masking tape or similar, wrap the spoke that is pointing forward at the point where it intersects the top edge of the dash panel surround. Also mark the surround under the spoke. This is so you can put the wheel back in the same position after removal by lining up your 2 tape marks.

-Now turn off the battery switch and then remove the horn button by gently prying it up out of the hub. The button has 1 wire (should be brown) attached to the back with a small screw terminal. Pull some wire out of the steering column and unscrew the terminal on the button. Don't lose the wire - it should stay without a problem.

-Now using a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a deep socket (to hold the wire) of the correct size, hang onto the wheel with one hand and try turning the nut with the other. It may take a few sharp pulls to break it loose. You should be able to turn it by hand once loose. Unscrew it until about 3-5 threads are left covered. Grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 positions and try pulling it upwards while rocking it. If you're really lucky the wheel will come loose and pop up towards you but stopped by the still attached nut. Without the nut you would now have a nasty imprint of the wheel hub on your forehead. :cry:

-If it didn't come off (and it most likely didn't) remove the nut and spray the splines of the steering shaft with PB Blaster or equivalent. Let it soak at least a few hours or preferably a couple of days, reapplying a time or two. Reinstall the nut 3-5 turns. Try pulling and rocking again. If it doesn't come off try banging the underside of each spoke close to the hub with a rubber mallet. You'll need to turn the wheel each way to get a clear shot at each spoke. Be patient, this could take a while before the wheel comes loose.

-Now lift the wheel off of the splined shaft. You'll see that there is a bracket screwed to the underside of the hub. This is the turn signal auto-cancel activator that flips the turn signal switch off after your turn. This is why you marked the position of the wheel with the tape. The position of the bracket is important otherwise it won't turn the switch off at the right time.

The steering wheel should go back on easily. If you have too much horn wire to stuff down the column, you can reach under the steering gear box after removing the floor board and you'll feel the wire coming out of the bottom of the steering column. You should be able to gently pull the excess wire down.

Have fun!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

TechMOGogy wrote:Here you go : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2593&hilit=steering+wheel
Leave the read the 2nd post :)
Ah - forgot all about that thread!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I did a search based on your username to find it as I remembered it but now we have step x step instructions which are even better!
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker