moisture on dist cap.....

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
waterdog
Paraguay

moisture on dist cap.....

Post by waterdog »

ok guys here is my problem... i dont drive the truck on water(often) but there is alwasys condensation on the distributor cap ,,it may be coming from inside the dist. itself??, so it get light rust everywhere inside the distrubutor, points get rusted.etc...my question is, can i drill a hole on the dist cap to displace any condensation out of the cap?? (i do have civilian conversion) i dont see a vent on my dist.... why is keeping a little condensation inside the dist cap???? thanks
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: moisture on dist cap.....

Post by Jimm391730 »

No matter where you live, it always gets cooler at night. Cooler air cannot "hold" as much water vapor so the dewpoint rises; anything that is colder than the dewpoint will create condensation. To make matters worse, as the air cools it becomes more compact so anything that has an air pocket will suck in this cooler, more moist air. This is especially bad inside the gas tank if it is partially empty; the more air space inside means more air is drawn in, and any condensation will fall to the bottom of the gasoline where it cannot escape.

If you live in a humid area all this just gets worse. I suspect that the rust you are getting is just from exposure to moisture in the air. I wouldn't worry about minor surface rust; wet everything down with WD40 periodically to displace the water and give the metal some protection.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

yes is humid down here!, but my problem is that this rust build up in the dist. shaft lobe,( where the points touch. dunno exact name). so this cam have grease+rust makes my points lose their correct gap, every 3 or 4 weeks using the truck once a week makes me go inside the dist clean up all the rust ans re gap the point,,, i dont think points should be maintain that often!!
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

sounds like another prime opportunity to install a solid state ignition system. PinzSSI.com
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

That is what I am going to do..
Tim
1975 710K
spandit

Post by spandit »

I installed MegaJolt on mine - worked a treat!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Years ago a friend of mine showed me how to put on layer of electrical tape around the bottom edge of my civilian distributor cap. It helped to act like a gasket where the cap is clamped down on the plate. A few months ago I drove the truck through the rain for forty minutes. When we got to our destination it sat for a couple hours outside in the damp. When I went hop in and start it, I don't think I had more than two cylinders firing.

The second thing I checked (after the idle cut off valves) was the distributor. The tape had become dry and brittle. The inside was coated with condensation. I wiped it off, cleaned the contacts, and put new tape on. It cranked up perfectly.

Now, I did put on a new distributor cap last week ; but, I also put that tape around the edge. - Buzz
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE