Voltage at coil.

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
cronapress
Great Britain

Voltage at coil.

Post by cronapress »

In trying to get to grips with a bigger problem, may I ask a simple question (from a simple soul!)? With the ignition turned on - but not cranking the engine, what should I expect to measure voltagewise twixt the +ve low tension connector on the coil and ground? I'm getting just over NINE volts. Batteries are fine and I'm getting 24v in other departments. I smell a large furry rodent here. Petronix fitted by prev. owner. As I don't have a team of highly trained white mice with mirrors, I haven't had a poke at the Ballast Resistor - yet! Maybe barking up the wrong tree there?

Thanks.
Mike. Scotland.
blackstack
United States of America

Re: Voltage at coil.

Post by blackstack »

if you do a search for "electronic ignition trouble" you will find a post that says the voltage should be 16 to 20 volts positive terminal to ground. Nobody contested that so i assume it is correct ..mine is 19
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Many thanks indeed blackstack for your help. Much appreciated! I'm definitely deficient in the volts dept. by the sound of it.

Mike.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The voltage at the positive coil terminal will vary, depending on whether the points are closed or open (with the engine off). I'm not certain what to expect with a pertronix, either -- with the engine not running.

When idling, the voltage should read in the 16-19V range.
Jim M.
712W and 710M