SAV Swiss Style LED Taillights

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
berger
Canada

Re: SAV Swiss Style LED Taillights

Post by berger »

Haf-e wrote:I had installed new all-red LED truck combo tail / brake lights units into the original Pinzgauer housing - it worked well but the view of them off angle was limited. Looked more like the originals.

You don't need to change the flasher if you are only upgrading the rear lights - they front filament bulbs provide the load on the original non-electronic type flasher.
Awesome! Thanks for that tip!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
66north

Post by 66north »

LED lamp very similar to original Pinz lamps available in UK. My company has an account with this company so I'm happy to source them if anyone interested.
http://www.dun-bri.com/vehicle_lamps/re ... /30758965/
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

66north wrote:LED lamp very similar to original Pinz lamps available in UK. My company has an account with this company so I'm happy to source them if anyone interested.
http://www.dun-bri.com/vehicle_lamps/re ... /30758965/
Nice design. 122mm diameter is indeed the same as the original tail lights.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Before installing these tail lamps be sure the turn signal switch is CLEAN, FREE FROM OIL AND DRY OR THEY WILL NOT WORK!
Spent a couple hours tracing down circuit bleed due to dirty oily t sig switch :shock: Had to replace the switch for them to work.
I personally do not like LED tail lamps because when they go do bad you have to replace the whole assembly :( .
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Bought a set... I will do an install when I get them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

CIMG3318.JPG
CIMG3318.JPG (115.55 KiB) Viewed 7799 times
Kept the original and added LED from Grote. Very bright and take the place of the reflector.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

For you guys that installed these LED taillights, could someone explain why the connection at the break reservoir is removed and capped, and the brake wire that was on the brake reservoir extended and reconnected to the headlight terminal?

I am not replacing the flasher as the headlights are still bulbs.

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

could someone explain why the connection at the break reservoir is removed and capped, and the brake wire that was on the brake reservoir extended and reconnected to the headlight terminal?
My guess is: "Just cuz". I'd ask Willy. In many respects, LED bulbs do not provide the same load characteristics as filament bulbs. Here's a link to some info: http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb_notes.php

Obviously, these bulbs have some non-stock characteristics, as evidenced by the need to run the SAV blinker relay. Speaking of which...

Looks to me as if you will have to install one of those relays, based on the notice in the instructions. I don't think it's an option. Perfect time to call Willy, order the flasher, and inquire about the brake switch wire.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

From that short statement, it's to separate the turn/brake lamps
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I miss part of what Berger wrote. You disconnect the pink wire from the switch and is extended and connected to the brake master cylinder switch. At the back of the vehicle, the pink wire is connected to the stop lamps...
The wire is not reconnected to the light switch

berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thx David.

I cannot get this. The wiring is done exactly like the instructions.....other than the new flasher unit, which guys stated here wasn't needed. Perhaps I should have ordered that unit regardless.

I had a mix of functionality, but now that the pink wire, or what looks closest to pink, from the right side of the light switch lever, is connected to the plug behind the master cylinder using a spade connector. The only lights I get now are the hazards, and then only the passenger side. Nothing else works.

Colours do not come through well...

LHS

RHS

I don't have the patience for this.

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

It's been 12 + years since I changed my lights on my 710, and then 712, and between senility and oldtimers :mrgreen: , what I remember was the change is straight forward , just swap the 3 wires and add the pink for the stop lamps. This is for the Swiss Pinzes. Austrian Pinzes already have separate turn/stop.
Be sure you didn't reverse the black and brown. Brown is the ground, unlike what people on this side of the pond are use to. :wink:

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I will add to my earlier comments so you understand , Normally the brake and turn share a bulb (yellow brake and turn) these new lamps use a separated signal(amber turn/red stop) that is why you bypass the brake switch output to the pink wire . If you have circuit bleed try blowing out the t sig switch with compressed air, NO OIL :shock:
If you suspect a bad flasher go to the auto parts store and buy a 12v EL13 flasher(around $12) and install it , it will work.
X=green, P=blue, L=yellow/black
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thanks guys. Even though the cables are slightly faded, the brown is definitely on the negative. Am I correct in connecting the two black wires, on the LHS, together on the one spade terminal?

I am going to get the new flasher, thanks Jim, and try that.

Last edited by berger on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

berger wrote:Am I correct in connecting the two black wires, on the LHS, together on the one spade terminal?
Yes you are correct. One black wire is suppling the power to the tail light and the other continues it on to the license plate lamps.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE