Swiss 710M Color wiring schematic

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Swiss 710M Color wiring schematic

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

A forum member, who asked to remain anonymous, made this beautiful wiring schematic and has asked that anyone who finds it useful, to please donate a few bucks to the forum. Thank you very much for your time!

Click on the photo for the larger sized version. Also you can right click to "view image" and save it from there if needed.

PDF now here:
pinz color wiring.pdf
(355.73 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Attachments
pinz color wiring-page-001(1).jpg
pinz color wiring-page-001(1).jpg (797.5 KiB) Viewed 32658 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: 710M Color wiring schematic

Post by TechMOGogy »

Happy to host
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Thanks but Paul beat you to it! Thanks Paul!

PDF color schematic link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/561 ... wiring.pdf
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Pinz710m2

Post by Pinz710m2 »

This ROCKS!

I had a loose connector yesterday and my left tail light brake light
stopped working. I couldn't quite figure out where the current was
going because the flasher was working and the black/white wire at
the bulb had no current. I got a little frustrated because I was getting
lost on the black and white diagram. Turned out that the connector
holding the gas gauge, the flasher, and the wire from the rear light had
popped loose and the little tabs that hold it were broken. The fix was
a simple wire tie around the connector, but it was so freakin' hard to
find.

This color coded chart would have really helped. Thanks!
andy

Post by andy »

This is awesome! My 712 is in the shop right now with blinker problems.

Thanks to whoever created this and for posting it.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Darmbruster1

Post by Darmbruster1 »

edzz wrote:
Darmbruster1 wrote:Hi. This swiss schematic has been useful but i have found an error.

The Battery Switch Relay diagram: the picture is correct, showing the ground on the bottom left terminal, but the terminal numbers are switched. 85 should be 86 and vice verse...

Based on my Swiss manuals you are in error. :oops: The color drawing is correct. Sorry.
The diagram itself, the picture is correct, but when youre holding the relay in your hand you can see the numbers are switched.

One thing i cant find on the diagram is the three relays behind the driver's seat...what are they? I have a blue wire running from the center one, down to (the vicinity of) the battery switch relay... its a female with a broken spade in it... its a mystery

-Dave
1975 710K
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

85 and 86 are terminals to the relay coil and are not polarity sensitive ie. the numbers don't matter in this particular case.

I have a Hella 24V automotive relay in my hands at this moment and guess what? The coil terminals are numbered 85 and 86. Moreover, the contact terminals are numbered 30, 87, and 87a. It is a SPDT relay hence the additional terminal. 30>87 = NO, 30>87a = NC. I'm guessing it is following some form of European or international wiring standard.

Three relays behind the driver's seat?? Sounds like something a former owner added. Driving lights? Radio? You will need to trace the wiring out to determine source and destination.

SPDT = single pole double throw
NO = normally open
NC = normally closed
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
Darmbruster1

Post by Darmbruster1 »

My OEM Hella relay has terminals 85, 86, 87, and 30/51, respectively. (as per the diagram) but what im saying is, the diagram and physical relay have 85 and 86 flopped. I was reading the diagram to a friend, who was installing the relay and we wired the ground to the upper left post (per the diagram). it fried the relay shut and melted the jacket on my battery lead cable. lots of smoke for a few seconds until we killed the power. yikes.

I examined the innards of the relay and it was toasty. I installed the new one and everything works as before. i am mystified about the "dangler" blue female wire near the relay that runs to my three relays behind the seat. they look like factory parts, but we'll have to go through it... the 1st (civilian) owner did install a 12v converter unit...

the reason for all this is that I have no brake lights or turn signals...in my troubleshooting i discovered this relay and thought the broken spade from the mystery blue wire had broken off of it. :shock: now back at square one. i ordered new headlight switch from swiss army vehicles, and they showed the OEM part on the website, but they sent me the $13.00 hungarian knock-off part. I paid about $75.00 for it... but it omits the red wire...

did you monkey around with these units at all? I have emergency flashers and low beam headlights, but no headlight dim...

i think ive just found 0 power upstream of the battery switch... wiring is not my strong point. :wink:

-Dave
1975 710K
Darmbruster1

Post by Darmbruster1 »

correction: 0 power upstream of the BRAKE switch...
1975 710K
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Dave, I believe the three relays you are referring to are part of the electrical system for the gas fired heater that was standard in the 710k. Posting a photo of the relays behind the seat would remove some of the guessing in providing you with an answer.

I'd suggest starting a new thread for your future questions.

One of the problems with schematics are that they are drawn to provide information to persons that have been trained to read them, they typically are designed to provide an electrical representation of a circuit rather than a graphical representation. Also realize that some of the replacement parts have been changed over the last 30+ years.

re the brake light switch, use the forums search function you will find a number of threads with the cure.

Please add your location to your profile.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Darmbruster1 wrote:My OEM Hella relay has terminals 85, 86, 87, and 30/51, respectively. (as per the diagram) but what im saying is, the diagram and physical relay have 85 and 86 flopped. I was reading the diagram to a friend, who was installing the relay and we wired the ground to the upper left post (per the diagram). it fried the relay shut and melted the jacket on my battery lead cable. lots of smoke for a few seconds until we killed the power. yikes.

I examined the innards of the relay and it was toasty. I installed the new one and everything works as before. i am mystified about the "dangler" blue female wire near the relay that runs to my three relays behind the seat. they look like factory parts, but we'll have to go through it... the 1st (civilian) owner did install a 12v converter unit...

the reason for all this is that I have no brake lights or turn signals...in my troubleshooting i discovered this relay and thought the broken spade from the mystery blue wire had broken off of it. :shock: now back at square one. i ordered new headlight switch from swiss army vehicles, and they showed the OEM part on the website, but they sent me the $13.00 hungarian knock-off part. I paid about $75.00 for it... but it omits the red wire...

did you monkey around with these units at all? I have emergency flashers and low beam headlights, but no headlight dim...

i think ive just found 0 power upstream of the battery switch... wiring is not my strong point. :wink:

-Dave
Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're having such fun so soon. A few thoughts.
Call or write SAV. They have generally been helpful and reputable. I'd expect you'll find the same. There may be a simple explanation for the missing red wire.
Be sure to reset all your circuit breakers.
DC wiring is relatively simple, but some circuits can get pretty involved. If wiring is not your thing, you should find a competent local person who can help. Alternatively, a basic automotive electric course might be available to you.
I'd think any owner would do well to know how to operate a basic volt/ohm meter, or at least a 24v test light probe.
Darmbruster1

Post by Darmbruster1 »

"Dave, I believe the three relays you are referring to are part of the electrical system for the gas fired heater that was standard in the 710k..."

That's what I was thinking Ed because they are stock. ive never messed with the heater other than to follow the starting procedure 5 or 6 years ago from the user manual...it didn't work so i put it on that project on the back burner. I haven't really needed the aux heater...Recently I removed the spark plug to ck spark...no spark. and the plug is pink. :) Rare as hens teeth i'll bet. but i'm going to clean it up and go through the heater soon. I'll post a pic of the relays on a new thread (as per proper protocol) so no one gets misty.

I have all 3 manuals in english, but not swiss version. (And, yes, I understand what schematics are for... No, i dont know everything; thats why i signed into this forum. I will take a pic of the battery relay switch for you to compare to the color schematic so you can see for yourself that there is, in fact, an error. I also have a good "wiring guy" that wires jet engines, and I own a volt meter! (how about that!?)

-Dave
1975 710K
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I'll post a pic of the relays on a new thread (as per proper protocol) so no one gets misty.
Dave,
The reason someone suggested you start a thread specifically about your problem is twofold: You're posting questions on a "sticky" topic, which will always stay in place. Secondly, you may get an answer to your problem this way, but what about the next guy who has a similar symptom? Nobody here has so much free time on their hands that they want to go answering endless queries about a previously discussed problem.
I also have a good "wiring guy" that wires jet engines, and I own a volt meter! (how about that!?)
Sorry if I touched a nerve. I believe you were the guy who said wiring wasn't your strong point, and had several sort of basic questions. No offense intended.