Wiper motor component

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
bbonomo

Wiper motor component

Post by bbonomo »

Hi, my wiper recently quit working. I've disassembled it and poked around a bit. I'm still trying to understand completely how it's supposed to work and the mechanics of it. I've attempted to clean the commutator and brushes. I'm struggling to understand what the component is that's between the power feed wire and brush connections (it has the schematic on it). Can anyone shine some light on this? Also, has anyone successfully had their motor rebuilt?

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.7 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Wiper motor component

Post by Jimm391730 »

The oblong metal tube with the black wires coming out of the plastic on the ends is a capacitor; it is there to minimize the "hash" (electrical noise) from the motor when it is running. The motor should run without it, but a radio would pick up motor noise when the wipers are on. Generally, they never fail so expect something else to be the problem.

Some notes: The spring that holds the brushes together around the commutator must have an insulating washer at one end (can't allow the spring to short out the brushes). There is a pin under the large plastic output gear that shuts off the motor in the park position by pushing on a leaf switch; the grease gets hard and the pin freezes (open the gearbox to see). The leaf switches often need cleaning or renewing too.
Jim M.
712W and 710M